Wouldn't "Don't take the Lord's name in vain" mean not to call yourself a god?

Most people act like it means not to say it in a bad way. I figure that since vain means that you think more of yourself than you actually are, then, taking his name in vain would be calling yourself God and saying you are him. Wouldn't that make more sense?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:39 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well thats blasphemy.
    Anonymous

• Well, that depends. There's a difference between A god and THE God, if you know what I mean.

If someone says "I'm a god" that's pretty SILLY, but there's really nothing wrong with it, IMO. Now, if they say, "I'M GOD!", then yes, I think it's taking His name in vain.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 4:43 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• No. Because vain also means "to no avail."

After translation, who knows what it really means?

Anonymous

• Not really. It is in the context of not using the word God in a irreverent or blasphemous way and really not to devalue the word God. That is how I see it.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 4:45 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Sorry, I meant to leave out "the". I mean...if someone calls themself God. Wouldn't that be taking his name in vain?
    Anonymous

• If I say, " I am GOD ". I "took" his name In vain. I took his name and I did it being vain. Right?
    Anonymous

• IMO, that's stretching it. But, whatever. lol. I don't really care if someone wants to think of it that way. I think it's all the same.
    Anonymous

• The third commandment forbids all profaning and abusing of anything whereby God makes Himself known.It is not simply a matter of cursing or using the name God or Jesus vainly in that way. It is true that God's name is not to be used in that manner. We are not to say "God bless you" when someone sneezes, or say "Oh my God" when we are excited or ecstatic. Truly, folks use His name in vain when they say those kinds of things. But the use of God's name is hardly restricted just to language. The commandment shows you how to worship God. The third commandment is rightly divided into two parts. The first part is the explicit command that we should not take His name in vain. That is obvious. The second part of the command is not so obvious. It is the implications of the right use of His name, namely, that we should honor and revere His name every time we use it.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:56 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Answered at 3:45 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 by: Anonymous
    Sorry, I meant to leave out "the". I mean...if someone calls themself God. Wouldn't that be taking his name in vain?
    **

Yeah, I'd say it is, IMO.
    Some might even go as fart o say it was blasphemy(not me, but SOME)
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 4:57 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• ACK!!

I meant to say "as FAR TO SAY . . . "
    LOLOL!!!

jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 4:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2009