Is a parent in NYS responsible for their 18 yr. old child after moving out of his/her house without the parents permission?

mrstina32

Asked by mrstina32 at 4:43 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• No you aren't responcible anymore. I'm dealing with this with my 19 year old daughter and her boyfriend. They are wanting me to be responcible for choices they have made and I'm having none of it. Although sometimes it's hard to walk away when you see they have nothing but I just have to realize that she made the choices. She must live with them and my jumping in to save her will not save her at all.
    irishhillbilly

Answer by irishhillbilly at 2:27 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• an 18 year old is legally an adult and does not need permission to move and they are not responsible for the child.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 4:45 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Nope. Just don't let him move back in unless you're ready to legally serve him notice when you want him to leave and he won't.
    Anonymous

• no

Answer by admckenzie at 5:38 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Hell NO!!!
    Me2dznb

Answer by Me2dznb at 8:56 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• hell no not free till age 21 only pay child support until 18 unless they go to school then untill school is over but if they need help from government like wellfare or medical if they are under 21 u r responsible
    tired703

Answer by tired703 at 9:01 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• what age is considered legally an adult there? here in CA its 18... if they are older than the legal limit, then no, your not responsible. but if they are younger than the legal limit, then you ARE responsible.
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 3:08 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• AN 18 YEAR OLD DOES NOT NEED YOUR PERMISSION HE IS CONSIDERED AN ADULT IN THE EYES OF THE LAW.

Answer by older at 9:09 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• At 18 you can't even get medical information or sign for treatment. You can't get legal information, school records, or anything an adult is responsible for. Your child is considered an adult even though the child may not always act like one. If your child has done something and people are turning to you to resovle it, tell them to take a hike. You are not responsible. They are not even suppose to talk to you about banking, loans, or any business matters. It violates the federal Privacy Act.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:14 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• No and they don't need your permission to move out either lol. At 18, an individual is a legal adult.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:42 PM on Apr. 23, 2009