depo shot

do you have to be on your periiod to get the depo shot?

SuperMom2MandM

Asked by SuperMom2MandM at 4:46 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Health

• Yes. Although I would strongly advise a different type of birth control. It did horrible things to me and made it to where when I wanted to have a baby I had to see a fertility doctor.
    vicki136

Answer by vicki136 at 4:56 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I agree with Vicki136, even after being off depo for a year I would not ovulate. It took us a year to get pregnant and that was on top of the year that I was off depo.
    legalmom343

Answer by legalmom343 at 5:16 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• If you don't have your period, they have to make sure you aren't pregnant first.

I agree with the other two posters. I had endometriosis and infertility issues after the depo. It took 1 1/2 years to ovulate again. And then there was so much damage, I couldn't get pregnant on my own.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 6:21 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I believe according to the literature accompanying Depo you are supposed to be on your period to get the shot. When I started Depo though, Planned Parenthood gave it to me after a month of the BC pill and a negative pregnancy test; in theory, there of course could have been a possiblity that I was prgnant but, it was unlikely enough that they gave me the Shot. So, I would just ask your Dr.

Having been on Depo for 18 months, I never reccommend it to anyone, but some people have no problems with it.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 9:33 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• No. You do not. I was on it for over two years. I wasn't on my period very often when I got the shot.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 12:01 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• FIND SOMETHING ELSE!!! I took two shots and it was HORRIBLE! I tried it after having my second child, it made me gain 15lbs, moody, tired, leg pain....once I quit, I felt normal again and dropped the weight!
    LovingLifeMom2

Answer by LovingLifeMom2 at 6:19 PM on Apr. 22, 2009