why does everyone think that kids that go to private school are little, snobby brats?

there's no true logic to the stereotypes.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Maybe because most of them come from a higher tax bracket and wealthy kids tend to be brats? My husband speaks to teens at all different schools and income levels and its actually a true stereotype. Of course this doesn't fit the bill for ALL kids though. There seems to be some entitlement in their attitudes.
    Anonymous

• i would be sending my daughter to a private school but she has an iep learning disibility ...the schools around here wont except a child with an iep.my daughter is very introverted which means she is not a brat.and she is not a snob.we are an older couple i am 50 so we can afford to send her to a private school.we are looking.i think the kids in public school are brats.in my town if your not in at least 3 sports and doing well you are nothing.academics doesnt matter its all in the compitition ....my daughter goes to a private club ina different town and takes tennis and swimming,but nobody in the town i live in knows it and thats just the way i want it to be,,,,
    Anonymous

• I guess im not everyone. lol
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 4:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I have to respectfully disagree. I live in a high end neighborhood and know countless kids at private school that are really good kids, respectful, kind, polite, etc. My kids go to public and there are just as many brats in public too. Either way, you have pain in the butt parents that you have to deal with.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I don't think those children are brats, but I'm sure the people who do are just jealous.
    Anonymous

• Because people who can afford to send their children to private schools are wealthier than the average. And most people think that "rich kid" and "Spoiled brat" are synonymous. People who cannot afford to give their children the same kinds of material goods, or resources in terms of opportunities, experiences and activities comfort themselves with the idea that giving more to a child than the bare minimum damages their character somehow.
    jessicas718

Answer by jessicas718 at 5:10 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I went to private schools from K-12. I am NOT a snobby brat! Although I am little ;)
    But it's a generalization that kids who go to private schools are snobby. I hate that. My Dad worked his butt offf to send me and my 2 brothers to private schools.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 5:28 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Many private schools are run by churches and the teachers don't get paid as much as public school teachers. I know the private school my kid went to also had financial aid for those that could not afford the full tuition. It was a great school with smaller child / teacher ratio, but we only sent him there for preschool. Our public schools are good. If I would get a voucher for a private school I would definately put my kids in private.
    Anonymous

• Because many hate wealthy people and so they assume all are evil and their kids are too. I am wealthy my child attends an exclusive prep school. He is at the homeless shelter on Saturday mornings feeding the homeless. He takes our neighbor dinner everynight. Has our cook make up a special meal for her every night. He give half his allowance to the women's shelter. He is 15 years old and the best kid anyone could hope to have as a child. Many of his friends are just as kind and help at the homeless shelter they to are the evil spoiled bratty private school kids.

We have money does not replace our hearts. I have family who are dirt poor and their kids are just awful. They are disrespectful and are entitled. Bratty kids are a result of poor parenting and there are bad parents in any social economic group.
    Anonymous

• Some kids are snobby and some aren't, but it's has more to do with their parents' influence than what school they attend. If the parents feel and act as though they are superior to others because their kids go to private school, then that attitude will be ingrained into the kids. Then, too, I think it's jealousy. Some people use that as a way of making themselves not feel so bad that they can't afford to send their kids to a private school. Both of our older kids went to private school and they are absolutely not bratty or snobby. it's all in the upbringing more than anything else.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 6:13 PM on Apr. 20, 2009