Is it bad to call my baby by a nickname?

My son's name is Owen but sometimes we call him CJ (Colby jr.) because he is just like his daddy in every way. A few people are trying to tell me that if we wanted to call him something else we shouldn't have named him Owen. I don't really know.

I don't think it's a big deal to call him that but I don't want to like emotionally damage him.

OwensMama824

Asked by OwensMama824 at 4:57 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Its not a big deal. Ignore those people.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 4:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Don't have an answer, except starting calling him by name given.
    Anonymous

• Why would it be bad?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:01 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I call my son by two nick names. One is the nickname everyone was told to use, and everyone does without complaint. His second nick name is Bubby. It's my pet name for him and even though he is only two, he knows which is his real name.

(He is named a family generational name that has been passed down four times. I don't give his real name or nick name out on the internet. But it would be something like: Carson James Adams IV with a nick name of CJ)
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 5:03 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• If it's not a big deal to you then ignore them.

Personally, I've never understood the practice of giving them one name and calling them something else. But...that's us.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:03 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I've called my sons by various nicknames. Including short versions of their names. and other fun things. They are fine. My husband was called not only by a common nickname for his given name, but also Roy (because he liked to dress as Roy Rogers as a child) and a name made up of his initials. My husband is just find. I also called my sons Bud, Sweetie, Darlin', and so forth. Enjoy calling your son whatever pleasant nicknames you like.

Answer by Bmat at 5:17 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• The idea behind nicknames is that they are a term of affection. So if the child's name is Deborah, and her parents want a name that is used in the family and with friends, then they'll say Debbie. Debbie would not be used in the person's profession except among people with whom she has a friendly relationship. Deborah is formal, Debbie shows a closer association. My best friend named her children so that they could not be called by any nickname, which is fine. We named ours with nicknames in mind.

Answer by Bmat at 5:20 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Ignore them. My son's name is Nicholas, he got used to being called three different names. They know when you are talking to them. The only thing I could think of is, make sure you like C.J., in the event that it ends up sticking with him.
    Amy82

Answer by Amy82 at 5:26 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I call my dd squidward! she answers to both her name and her 'nick'name.(no pun intended), and she is just about 10 months! He will be fine IMO
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 5:26 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Ah hell, my daughter is "peanut". I don't think I actually said her name until she was well over a year old. Ignore the haters, they are dumb. =)
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 5:53 PM on Apr. 20, 2009