Do you think voters in Detroit should reelect a councilman who walked away from his home?

Should those who hold office be held to a higher standard as far as their personal life goes? He wants public to seperate his personal from his public service but isn't he adding to Detroit's housing problem? Why would I want a mayor who can't stick around to work out his financial obilgations. I have housing problems to but I also am not making 81K from the city I live in either.

Here is the link to the article http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30311735?GT1=43001#storyContinued I am sure you can google to find other articles too.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:19 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• No, he should not be able to run, he's not the first there are many that have made this type of news and most are in CA and NV.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 5:21 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Sounds no different than Mayor Nagin, who "ran for the hills" (Texas), saving his own hide, before Katrina hit! Sink or swim was essentially his message to his constituents! YET, he won a LANDSLIDE re-election, and somehow Bush is evil?!?!?
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:29 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Nope. I like the whole lead by example thing. If we want to discourage people from walking away from their responsibilities, then we have to put it in a negative light.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:39 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Loser. I wouldn't elect someone who couldn't handle their own finances. I'd be afraid of how badly he would screw up the government finances.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 6:13 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• They shouldn't, but they probably will. Michigan votes seem to follow the Detroit voters, and look what they did for the past two gubernatorial elections: elected a governor that has managed to drive Michigan into the ground.

I think people that run for office should demonstrate that they are responsible enough to handle the office, not just talk pretty.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 6:22 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• It seems for some reason, that we constituents are the only ones who are held accountable these days, those in gov't positions seem to be "absent malice" and do not have to adhere to any of the rules they made, like paying their taxes! How nice for all of them~~~
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 6:32 PM on Apr. 20, 2009