Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can you help her?

My friend is due May 3. Her insurance runs out on April 30th because her SO lost his job. He got a new one, but the insurance doesn't kick in for 3 months. She wants to make sure she has the baby by the 30th... Is there any way that is safe to her and the baby that she can have the child? I mean to trigger labor?Any suggestions are welcome.


Asked by ArtisticHPfan at 5:39 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (11)
  • She can try supplimental insurance. It's more like a discount program, but will help tremendously, than going without. It's fairly cheap too. for more info. You can also pm me for more info. The plans start at 29.95/month

    Answer by TheDiva320 at 5:49 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

  • Unfortunately nothing is full proof really. If this isn't her first she can ask to be induced. I think most doctors will induce at 39 weeks for second time moms.

    Answer by julipickle2 at 5:44 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

  • She could always ask to be induced on the 29th/30th. It's not like it's a really far span between the 30th and the 3rd, so her doctor may consider it.

    Answer by SlapHappi at 5:45 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

  • Also, blue cross has temp insurance plans for a cheap price. Have her contact an agent asap and someone should be able to set her up. My husband sells temporary plans all the time in situations like that. It's for people who don't need long term, but still need something. I'm not sure if she could get on it since she's pregnant, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

    Answer by julipickle2 at 5:45 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

  • This is her first, and the doctor said he would prefer not to because it could be dangerous.

    Answer by ArtisticHPfan at 5:51 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

  • I could let her know about the insurance ideas... thanks ladies... anything helps

    Answer by ArtisticHPfan at 5:52 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

  • If she is losing her insurance and their income, she could apply for emergency medicaid. They may cover it for her. I would imagine if she is far enough along and she tells her doctor he will accommodate her otherwise he may not get paid.

    Answer by kemclaughlin at 5:56 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

  • Have the current insurance extended under the Cobra act. It will be a bit more expensive than it is currently, but then she would have the exact same coverage and also the same docs and everything. Ask the employer for the paperwork.

    Answer by lucindamartinez at 6:12 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

  • does the insurance have a relapse period.

    Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 6:13 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

  • Yea but the relapse ends on the 30th. It goes until the end of the month you were let go. He was let go around the 5th I believe, so it lasts until the 30th.

    Answer by ArtisticHPfan at 6:19 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

Next question in Pregnancy
I need middle names

Next question overall (About CafeMom)
how do u get to the cafe?