Placenta Previa

My friends doctor told her her placenta was low at her 21 week unltra sound. He said he will do another US in a month to see if she has Placenta Previa.

He also told her she could have sex. Everything I read online so NO SEX. Does anyone have an experience with this?

MAUREEN55

Asked by MAUREEN55 at 5:56 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had that I was told sex was ok and did it it was fine did no damage. It can also rarely reverse it's under certain conditions mine did around 6 mnths. She only needs to worry bout bleeding even a little should cause concern and if her water breaks if thy have to do a c-section she must get to l&d asap. It's can be just finne if monitered and a plan is set and met. The biggest risk is bleeding out.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 6:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I had placenta previa right around that time with my second baby. I was told no sex. Maybe he doesn't think it's a big deal since it's only showing that it's low? It shouldn't cause any problems unless it's lying over the cervix...that's what causes the bleeding. Most of the time it fixes itself.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• No need to be on pelvic rest unless there's bleeding and he's not 100 percent sure it's a previa. A low placenta doesn't always mean previa.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 5:59 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I had that, and didn't know I did until I had to be rushed to hospital, ended up having son 2 days later, when tried stopping it. Your friend needs to keep up with a good doctor.
    Anonymous

• i had it with both my girls and i was on bed rest with em as well and my docs said no sex and some times i'd still do it, not with my 1st i didnt, but i wouldn't risk it if i was her, i had to stay in the hospital with both my girls and i also had to have a cerivical sercloge(splet it wrong) done which is where they sew up ur cervix, so when a doc says not to pls listen. i didnt in had sex twice and alomst lost my baby whose now 7yrs old, with the 1st i listened.
    Ayeshah

Answer by Ayeshah at 6:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• my placenta was low till about 19weeks and then got where it should be and I'm 28weeks now and still where it should be
    Anonymous

• Also, placenta previa clears up 90 percent of the time. There is no need for your friend to worry if she has it, not yet anyways!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:27 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I had a low lying placenta at 20 weeks w/ my 1st DD. My OB said she would put me on pelvic rest IF I had bleeding instances; I didn't. She wanted me to come in for another u/s at 30 weeks to check the position of the placenta. She was almost sure it would have moved by then & it did!
    gaamom

Answer by gaamom at 9:54 PM on Apr. 20, 2009