Do you care enough to read the source?

A recent post contained a link to what was allegedly "an adoption guide" with notes on how to coerce women into placing their babies for adoption.

I am curious whether anyone on here actually took the time to follow the link"? It was basically a "study" from a religious group whose goal ultimately is anti-abortion. Their result is is that Adoption is almost never offered as an option to pregnant women because the counselors dont know enough about it and there is such a negative stereotype on bmoms. The hope is that the negativity in our culture and in the media over what adoption means is turned around so adoptees dont feel isolated. There is currently no mention of (let alone coercion) to adoption and how to make this a viable 3rd option for pregnancy.

Do you actually read the source of what people "interpret" on here or do you automatically believe the poster read it the same way you would have?.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:59 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Adoption

• I know it is not politically correct to say this, but I don't think it's a bad thing to offer the option of adoption to a woman who is pregnant and single. She is free to make her own decision. We have to assume that she is intelligent enough to do so. If there are other complicating issues, such as substance abuse or homelessness, it is even more appropriate to encourage adoption as an option. I was not bothered at all by the quotes from the brochure. You can call me all the names you want. That is usually a tactic of someone who cannot support their argument.
    Anonymous

• I don't know what this is all about but I never believe anything on here without collaboration.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 6:09 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I think sometimes women on here google and post what they think would be helpful without actually reading the article. I would never trust something someone sent without verifying it myself.
    Anonymous

• To explain better: You often will see women on here attach parts of articles or studies or actual links to studies and say "Look at what this says about adoption" and then everyone gets all up in arms about the posters interpretation of what is said.
    In the past I never really took the time to see if the link. Recently, more and more I have realized that often the poster has interpreted the article differently than I would .

The poster that I referenced was saying: here is a manual that teaches agencies how to coerce women and coercion happens all the time. But IMHO, if you looked at the actual study it was a study that said the opposite, the point of hte study was how not only does coercion exist, adoption is not even offered as an option. 100% different than how it was presented.
    Anonymous

• As the one who posted that link, I'm going to have to say, you are so right! As a crazy, bitter, no-nothing bmom I NEVER would have learned the importance of research through my careers as a published writer and marketing consultant. And my drug hazed life left me without the thought to actually verify that the org. that created this manual distributes it to crisis pregnancy to "help" those counselors know the right things to say to encourage adoptions.
    And I certainly, between bonbons and Oprah, would have never taken the time to look into the Infant Adoption Awareness program which is a federally sponsored program created for one purpose - to teach counselors who deal with women in crisis pregnancies how best to convince them that adoption is the best and only "loving" option for their child.
    Since I am obviously incapable of such acts as a screwed up bmom, please contact NCFA and FRC to research for yourself. Thanks!
    casjoh

Answer by casjoh at 7:00 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• And as for actually posting without reading - I must have been sober the day I requested the actual hard copy to be sent to me and went through it page by page to read every word over and over again!

And as for my reference to the NCFA and their Infant Adoption Awareness program - I brought it up because it TOO is another source of teaching counselors how to convince pregnant women to surrender their children to adoption.

Interesting isn't it, that some's denial of any coercion existing is from assumption while bmoms who speak out are doing so from experience. So while so many here are satisified to assume what happens or has happened to so many pregnant women, we know!
    casjoh

Answer by casjoh at 7:17 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Casjoh, sorry, I didnt realize that you had such low self esteem or that you were a former drug addict. If that is true, than that is sad and I how great that you got your life somewhat on track. If that is not true, what an disrespectful way to mock those who are suffering with substance abuse.

If you read the post again, I purposely explained more than once that my interpretation was different than yours. Didnt call you any of the names that incur that automatic self pitying, everyone must be out to get me reaction that you tend to jump to. (guess the goal is to deflect any discussion away from the facts)

Frankly, I disagreed with much of the "study" because the research methods for flawed for a dozen reasons, but the point of this post is that we ALL need not to be sheep and just listen to what stranger interpret on the web because our own thoughts might be different.
    Anonymous

• Hey OP I thought you knew ALL bmoms are drug addicts, lazy selfish no-good liars who only want to manipulate & toss the blame on others? I thought that was made clear by the postings here? Hmmm, guess not.
    Anonymous

• I'm not a bio or adopting mom so I don't visit here often so I had to go looking for this link that was mentioned and are you sure you read the whole thing because it sure as heck sounded to me like a crap of research to try and figure out why women don't choose adoption and a following lesson on how to push them to adoption. If you didn't get that then i wonder how far you actually read. And really what the hell does it matter to anyone if a woman chooses adoption or not? It's creepy to even think that certain organizations and religious groups would even take the time to do such research to see how to make a women move to adoption in the first place.
    Anonymous

• If you read the post again, I purposely explained more than once that my interpretation was different than yours. Didnt call you any of the names that incur that automatic self pitying, everyone must be out to get me reaction that you tend to jump to. (guess the goal is to deflect any discussion away from the facts)

It's understandable how your interpretation would be different considering your inability to construct a sentence that makes any sense.

Anonymous