tick question

My son just came out of the bathroom saying that he pulled a tick out of his leg, and the head of it didnt come off, he threw it in the sink and his dad went in there and looked at it and said it doesnt have a head on it, so I assume it is embedded in his leg. Is this something that will work it's way out? Or do I need to take him to the Dr or ER? Sorry I might be over reacting, but I hate bugs, especially anything that sucks blood, gross.

AK_aries

Asked by AK_aries at 6:10 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Health

• Try using a credit card to scoot the head out and then disinfect the area. I would not use a match to burn the thing out though. That is a very old way of doing it and you could burn the kid! Or just take him to the Dr and let them do it. My son has had a few ticks on him and I just grab the little sucker with some tweezers and gently pull it out. But grasp firmly, they try to crawl back in. I know, GROSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 9:51 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• It will grow a new body. To be safe you better find the head, ticks can cause fever and sickness, and can spread lime disease.
    Anonymous

• It will need to be removed. I would suggest taking him to the doctor tomorrow. Let your son know that next time not rip them off. That way you can remove them head and all by sticking a hot match against its body. you could google it to try to find more info.
    zipitty

Answer by zipitty at 6:15 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• it will not grow a new head......that sounds like an old wives tale......I would watch for infection, and also watch for the telltale ring of Lymes disease......
    if in doubt get some antibiotics from a doctor......
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 9:37 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Get the head out. If you can't do it, take him to the doctor within 24 hours for them to do it. It can cause lyme disease and paralysation. Sorry, don't mean to freak you out, but it's true. After you get the head out, watch for redness around the area. If you have any doubt, take him to the doctor. better to be safe than sorry, I would say. I have NOT heard about them growing a new body, either.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 10:48 PM on Apr. 20, 2009