Stripping Memebrane?

what exactly do they do? and did it work for u?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:12 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Taking out the mucus plug....hurts and works if your body is ready
    Anonymous

• It's spelled m-e-m-b-r-a-n-e.
    Anonymous

• Stripping the membranes has nothing to do with the mucus plug. The stick their fingers in like a normal vaginal exam and then make a sweeping 360 degree motion to loosen up the membranes from the sack to increase the chances of labor. You have to be dilated for them to do it and effacing. I had it done on 9-11 and had my daughter on 9-14. You can start it at 38 weeks if your progressing any and have it done each time you see the doctor. They say its a 72 hour window and helps to avoid going over. Your mucus plug may or may not be intact when they do it.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 6:26 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Also its painful and causes some cramping and bleeding but nothing major. It can also cause contractions which may or may not go away. Nothing to major just a painful exam really.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 6:27 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Brailynsmama is right. I had my membranes stripped and had the baby the next night. It's not full proof, but it's worth a try in my opinion if you're getting close to the due date.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 6:31 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• The description above is accurate. I had it done twice with the same pregnancy a few days apart --- didn't do a thing for me.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 6:36 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I had it done with my first in the afternoon and my water broke at 5 am the next day, it is uncomfortable but if you're ready its well worth it good luck
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 6:39 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• i got mine stripped today!!
    its not that bad at all..they do a sweeping motion...side to side on your cervix
    and im having some painful contractions now :D

i think its working
    MissKellee

Answer by MissKellee at 7:16 PM on Apr. 20, 2009