How long do you have contractions before the water breaks?

I believe I am having contractions, but my water has not yet broken. How long does it take to break the water? Should I go in to the hospital even before my water breaks? My mom told me to stay home until my water breaks because they aren't going to do anything except have me walk around to get it to break.

ArtisticHPfan

Asked by ArtisticHPfan at 6:26 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had 1 contraction at 11:30 pm my water broke at 1:30 am and I went to the hospital at 3 because they were 3 minutes apart. There is no set time sometimes it breaks without contractions like mine did. One contraction 2 hours earlier doesn't really count. I had my daughter at 11:24 am. Try laying down for 2 hours and if they continue its real labor. If the pain is increasing and getting closer in time and lasting longer then it could be real. Good luck
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 6:34 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Call your doc when your contractions are 7 min apart. Your water doesnt' always break on it's own in the beginning...sometimes in the beginning, sometimes during pushing, sometimes they break it for you to speed up labor. I would stay home as long as possible. Hospitals are boring and you constantly have people in your face asking you questions. Call yoru docs office and they will tell you when to go in or call L&D
    Anonymous

• I was in labor for 13 hours before going to the hospital and about an hour later the dr broke my water for me.
    vicki136

Answer by vicki136 at 6:30 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• There is no knowing. The water doesn't always break, nor does it have to (google "Born in the Caul", when a baby is born in the bag of waters.) Sometimes it breaks before contractions start (like mine did), sometimes after, sometimes in transition or pushing and sometimes not at all.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 6:30 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I had been in labor for 2 days & had dilated to near 7 cm before the Dr broke my water.

I was in labor another 8 hrs before my son was born with the help of forceps.

Don't listen to your mother unless you want to risk having your baby at home --- like a PP said, your water may never break.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 6:34 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• wait to go til they are hard contractions because in all honesty your water may not break on its own . the drs may have to break it for you .
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:35 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Weeks! I am serious, my contractions were never regular. But yes head in even if your water hasnt broken, my friend's water never broke until she pushed her son out.
    legalmom343

Answer by legalmom343 at 6:50 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• My water never broke with all 3 of mine. They broke it for me, even though that wasn't necessary(I didn't know that then, I do now). It may not break. In fact some babies are born with it still intact...its called being born in the caul.
    rosesNclovers

Answer by rosesNclovers at 7:52 PM on Apr. 20, 2009