Another Bible Question

St. Paul said a lot of things. One thing in particular that I keep hearing is that homosexuality is "unnatural" (even though a better translation from the Greek word would be "uncustomary"). Many say what is in Leviticus was absoloved by the coming of Jesus. Ok, I get that. So, were going with St. Paul, a man that did not know Jesus (Jesus never said anything about it). St. Paul also says that women should not participate in church. How many Christian ladies take part in church? Also that a woman who goes about with her hair uncovered should have her hair shaved off. How many of you Christian ladies wear the veil? Or what about where Paul says that your husbands can displine you with a stick no thicker than his thumb? Does anyone agree with this man about these things? Yet your willing to take his stance on homosexuality to heart? What gives? This is not me mocking, I really want to know.

mehamil1

Asked by mehamil1 at 6:27 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't have a problem with homosexuality so I'll pass on this. My dad was gay and was a strong Christian and was never thrown out of church over it

Answer by admckenzie at 6:32 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• The term "Apostle" refers to a disciple of Christ who has seen the risen Lord. Paul is called the "Apostle Paul" because he has indeed seen and talked to the risen Lord on the road to Damascus when Jesus struck him blind and changed his name from Saul to Paul and called him into his ministry. So Paul did know Jesus personally :-)

One must realise that I&II Peter, I&II Corinthians and Galatians (where those verses you mentioned are found) were written to and addressed specifically for certain people and certain communities to address the specific problems that they were having and complaining to Paul to. Paul urges people to follow Jesus but also their own customs. He tells them to use common sense, if a woman's hair is distracting to you in church, tell her to cover it or cut it off. It isn't about a woman or her hair, it is the distraction during worship. Today in our culture, our hair isn't distracting really
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 6:33 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• (cont.) so one could liken that verse to ask women to cover their cleavages in church (because that is something that might distract men during the service). Also in the cultures of the people he was writing to, they were hung up when women wanted to teach. So he said, if it's a hang-up, tell them to be quiet and let the men teach. Get over it and worship God. We know this was community specific rather than a universal commandment because Paul also writes in other letters congratulating women for their good deeds and work in the lord. There were also female deacons in the Bible.

Paul says that there is no gender to God and will be no male or female in heaven. His letters address human hang-ups and distractions based on the short-comings of the people at that time and place. We can glean lessons from them but they are not direct-commandments for us.

The verse about homosexuality can be explained in the same way.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 6:38 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Ok good explanation November. Can the same be said for homosexuality? Just something passed to a certain group of people?

I also have a really hard time believing that Jesus would strike someone blind, change their name, and then inspire all these things that some of it was never talked about in his living life.
    mehamil1

Answer by mehamil1 at 6:39 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• The Presbyterian Church USA (PCUSA) interprets the scriptures the way I've written to you here. Other denominations, religious sub-cultures and even branches of Presbyterianism interpret the Bible differently. It's the splitting of hairs in regards to interpertation that severs the ties between God's people when we should be focusing on praising him and not focused on hating or bashing another group. Homosexuals are welcome in my church (PCUSA), it's actually not a matter of not being welcome or not..it's a non-issue. They're a human being and a Christian like everyone else. And women are pastors and teach men and do not cover their heads :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 6:41 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Novemberlove: I am just wondering...It seems like you are making excuses for the hair issues raised, so why not use the same discretion for homosexuality. I can say today, in our culture homosexuality isn't distracting or even uncustomary.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 6:42 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• There is a difference between issues of custom and issues of morality. Homosexuality is an issue of morality. It is specifically forbidden in the Bible. A woman's hair, make up, thingslike that had to do with the customs of that time period. Never did Paul say anything about women not participating in the church. He said they were to be silent in the church. this was because in those days, the women sat on one side of the church and the men on the other. During the sermon, women would talk out loud & call over to their husbands to explain what was just said. Paul told the women to be silent in the church and let their husbands explain things to them later.

Anonymous

• Oops, I posted before I saw the additional posts :)
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 6:43 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I swear either you or someone else just asked this the other day....
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:45 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Yes, because Paul mentions elsewhere that there is no gender in heaven as well as seems to address women who were doing God's work (i.e. female deacons) as equals in Christ and equals with men in Christ, I do believe that the verse about homosexuality may simply be addressing a problem within a certain group at that time and place in history. Even if it isn't and homosexuality is a sin, we all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. He who is without sin, cast the first stone. If you lie once, you are a liar. If you steal once, you are a theif. Why are we liars and theives claiming we have a better place before God than a homosexual does? Sin is sin, period. Our good deeds are as dirty rags before him.

Saul/Paul was not present during Jesus' ministry (and is therefore not mentioned). Saul was a Roman citizen and, I believe, was a Pharasee and had an influential position in the society of that time.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 6:45 PM on Apr. 20, 2009