• In the Spotlight:

Do you consider earning $250000 a year to be working class?

http://finance.yahoo.com/retirement/article/106934/Wealth-Less-Effect-Earning-Well-Feeling-Otherwise

My family is doing OKAY on less than $40000 per year. I don't understand if you earn this much how you can possibly say you are upper working class or just middle class. I mean, yes it depends on where you live. But honestly, I would choose living in a lower cost-of-living area. The pay may be slightly less but so would everything else. Am I wrong? What are your opinions?

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 6:44 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I have learned to live on less than 50,000.00 a year . when we were 1st married about 12 years ago with 2 kids we made 16,000.00 a year and we were poor but happy and qualified for health insurance. now we live in florida where our rent is great for a beautiful home with a pool in nice neighborhood. Years of living "poor" have taught me that it is wanting what you have that counts , not having what you want. Also I only shop 2nd hand, buy cheap knock off groceries( as my kids call them) and farm stands. I'm not sure what middle class is any more , for the last eight years it was like you were either rich or poor.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 6:59 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Yes I would consider 250k a working class. Theres a lot you have to consider, the area of where the person lives, the things they have and are stuck with (whose buying any cars or houses right now? especially expensive ones?), just stuff like that. Its hard to be able to understand where these people are coming from if we have never been there. I have not been there, and I know that I could make 250k last 5 years! Haha, but again- these people probably live in more expensive areas, and have items they cant just up and sell to move.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 6:53 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• No, that is not middle class in my opinion, but then, any family surviving on less than $40,000 a year is not middle class either, they are working poor. At least, that is what I and my family are.
    gludwig2000

Answer by gludwig2000 at 6:53 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• IMO no, I don't consider working class to be making 250k. I would consider that way upper middle or low upper class (let me know if I make sense....lol). But then again I live in an area where the average homes' income is $32,000/year for a 4 person family. And was raised in poverty recieving welfare. So $250k sounds like a cake walk no matter what area you live in. Hell, if i can make $40k a year work in a lovely neighborhood in the suburbs of DC with a new car and renting... I'm sure I could very easily do it again with $250k.
    Right now, as a family of 5 our home income is around $40k and we are very comfortable.
    3earthangels

Answer by 3earthangels at 7:17 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I consider people making 250K upper middle class. What I don't agree with is the attitude that just because they make that much money, that its absolutely necessary to live in a manner with the intent of showing off. I see no reason for people to spend money just to impress people and to raise themselves up to a level where they think they are better than anyone else, or expect that other people should treat them special. What kind of person you are is not reflected by how fancy your house is, how expensive your car is, or what designer handbag you are carrying. That attitude is exactly what got the whole nation into debt. If you make more money, save more money for the future. Buy things when you can really afford it and chop up the credit cards. They aren't impressing me.
    Anonymous

• right on anon
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 7:22 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• As long as you receive a W2 Feb.1, you are working class regardless of the income earned. The difference is the fact that it was earned not the amount.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 7:22 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• You have to consider the circumstances. Where do you live? Some places are dirt cheap others are very high. California is one of the highest places to live. I would consider it middle class in high rent and home places.
    Scorpio359

Answer by Scorpio359 at 7:25 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• True, some try to impress but from what I've learned those people can be just as maxxed out as anyone but carrying debt on porsches, mansions, boats, what have you. I don't feel sorry for them minus the 37 percent tax on their income which doesn't seem fair to me but that's me. If they earn it, it's theirs, they probably busted their rumps to get that kind of money, I don't begrudge them their earnings. I don't think high earners immediately go to thinking they are better than others, though.
    Anonymous

• supposedly "middle class" makes between 25,000 and 150,000...
    If you start making 250,000 and buy a huge house in an expensive neighborhood, don't complain about how you are NOT rich and blah blah blah
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:37 PM on Apr. 20, 2009