Landlord at it again.... OMG! Who do I call??

She always starts this crap after business hours. 1st : WE DO NOT HAVE A LEASE. 2nd. We gave her notice in March that we would be moving May 1. 3rd. She keeps either showing up unannounced or sending people to our house for stupid crap. 4th. She finally had the roof fixed after 6 mos, trying to get us to lie to the insurance company, & tried to force us to pay the deductible ($3000). Now she didn't change her address with the insurance company... they sent the estimate here to the house in the name of Alvarado (her name is Lujan). I told her, she said she would get a copy from the insurance company... I threw away the copy they sent here. She never told me her name was Alvarado. Anyway today she starts texting, that I didn't send it to her and she's pissed. I'm like change your address & it would have come to you. She told me to be out of the house this weekend. She can't do that, can she? Who can I call about her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:51 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Money & Work

• She cannot do that and you need to call the housing authority where you live and file a complaint. You can also see if you can find a lawyer willing to help you.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 6:52 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Don't spend any money on a lawyer. If you have a contract and you have told her that you will be out at a certain time then she should hold you to that. She can't evict you without going through the courts anyway and I know her cheap ass ain't gonna pay for that.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 6:54 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Since you don't have a lease, your landlord can do whatever she wants. Leases protect BOTH the landlord and the lessee (you) in the event there are problems.

I would move as planned in two weeks, she cannot force you out any faster, since you have no lease she cannot call the police to evict you as your rent is paid through the end of the month.

Wherever, you end up next, make sure you have a LEASE!
    Anonymous

• Even in a verbal month to month lease, she has to go thru eviction procedures to get you out, and it will take longer than the two weeks you have left until you leave. Stay. Call whoever is in charge of that kind of thing, housing dept/health dept/whoever, and tell them what she is doing. The only thing I'd advise though is if possible, make sure at least one person is home at all times until you move. She might try to change the locks on you while you're out, and that'll make a big hassle for you.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:02 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• You two don't have a lease, so she can do whatever she wants
    Anonymous

• Just because there's no lease DOES NOT mean the landlord can "do whatever she wants". There are common landlord/tenant laws in every state. Most states follow the rule that notice has to be given in the interval that rent is paid, ie. if you pay rent on the 1st of every month, 30 days notice must be given. I'd tell her that per your notice to vacate, you will be out on May 1st and not one day sooner. You have paid rent for this month, right?
    pitter_patter

Answer by pitter_patter at 7:33 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Yes. I have paid the month of April. Paid in full. On time. And I gave her notice in March that we would be moving May 1. She's been a b from the first day. With the drop ins, sending people over to my house for nothing. Heck, she even sent two men to my house at 9 pm Thursday night under the pretense of giving an estimate on the roof... which she had already contracted someone to do (and who was going to start on the roof on Friday morning).
    Anonymous

• Wow, she sounds like a total psycho, I'm so sorry you are dealing with that! Thank goodness you are moving soon. Do you have a large security deposit with her? She sounds like the type to nickel and dime you on repairs and deductions.
    pitter_patter

Answer by pitter_patter at 8:14 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Repairs? Yeah right.. I took pictures when we moved in. We don't expect any deposit back, just because we know how she's been... we expect her to not even think twice about keeping it. It's worth it, almost, to not deal with her anymore.
    Anonymous

• Just so you know, she & anyone else is NOT allowed in you apartment/duplex/whatever without a 24-48 hour written notice. So if someone shows up again.. Don't let them in.
    Also, if you don't owe her money then she can't make you leave without taking you to court. Just stay. She's likely trying to scare you so she can rent the place out sooner.
    lizafur13

Answer by lizafur13 at 8:37 PM on Apr. 20, 2009