what is the best way to handle 2 yr old temper tantrums?

I do make my 2 yr old stay in ''time out'' for 2 minutes, but then she's right back into it not even 20 minutes later. When she doesn't get her way, she throws herself back and hits her head. Is this a ''scare tactic?''

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:25 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Let the TT run its course. She is looking for attention, positive or negative. Tell her that when she calms down you will be happy to snuggle her and read a book to her.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:27 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Ignore them, or laugh at them.
    NicMorgan

Answer by NicMorgan at 7:33 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Ignore her. It sounds bad but they love any reaction they can get from you. So the temper tantrums are less fun with no response. Time outs work for my daughter but if she's really into the temper tantrum I just walk away.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 7:41 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Ignore it and let it happen. Its hard to do but the child will calm down. you will also be showing her that you are not going to tolerate that kind of behavior. after a few times of you going about your business she'll see that she is not going to get your attention by screaming and the tantrums will stop!
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 7:41 PM on Apr. 20, 2009