how to go about adopting a little girl who has been with me since birth.... in my court ordered custody but not a foster kid

Hi, I am from Boston and my story is a little complcated, my x boyfriend and I took custody of HIS neice the day she was born.. the parents are useless and have never been involved... the x and i split 2 years ago and he abandoned her to..... so now my little girl is 5 1/2 and everything to me.... the bio mother called the other day for the first time in over a year and told me to adopt her and she would consent..... i have no money for lawyers, home studies or any of that.... what do i do .... this is MY baby girl and she is never going anywhere!!!! the "father" most likley wont contest anyone know any free resources???

gypseesky

Asked by gypseesky at 7:29 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Adoption

• if mom is willing to sighn you should not need a lawyer
    but call one in your area that offers free consults to ask whst you need to do to file
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:31 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• btw - very honerable of you....
    mommymeg03

• Call some lawyers for a free consultation and get a better understanding of how that would work, but yeah.... If mom won't contest than you should be ok. Good luck!!! :)
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 7:37 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• What a lucky Girl to have you. GL.
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 7:39 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• thanks mommymeg... I dont see myself as being anything other than a loving mom, she may not have come from my belly but she is my heart... i met with a lawyer friday, he was fantastic, but he wants $275 an hour, and the constable to serve the papers and the home study will cost too. the fathers name is on the BC, so that needs to be addressed.... I am pretty good with things and wonder if I could do it myself but its so important that i dont want to risk screwing it up.
    gypseesky

Answer by gypseesky at 7:41 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• you will most likely still have to have a home study done and court for the judge to grant the adoption. But the process should only be 3-4 months with her willing to consent to it.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 7:54 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• who do I call about a home study?? how much does it cost??
    gypseesky

Answer by gypseesky at 7:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• it can cost from 300-1000 from what I understand (getting ready to do a stepparent adoption). You should find a family attorney who does free consultations and sit down and ask about it. I am not sure who you would call. There might be a way to do it through the health department but that is a long shot.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 8:08 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• my x boyfriend and I took custody of HIS neice the day she was born..........the x and i split 2 years ago and he abandoned her to

How is it you were able to take custody the day she was born? and now 2 years after your boyfriend spits and that the little girl is 5 1/2 years old, you now are suddenly wanting to her adopt her? 

Anonymous

• We had a private homestudy done when we were trying to adopt. We called a local organization that is involved with foster care. They understood that we needed the homestudy for other reasons. It cost $800, I think. Don't let the previous poster bother you with the rude comment. My bet is you've probably wanted to adopt her all along, and wanted to give her birth parents a chance to become ready to parent. I hope it works out for you. Good luck!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:55 AM on Apr. 21, 2009