Completely potty trained??

How old was your child when he/she started staying dry all through the night? My dd has been potty trained through the day since she was 2, going on her 3rd birthday next month, and she still pees her pants every night when sleeping! I don't know what to do, is there some special trick (magic) to make this stop?? To keep her dry all night?? I do not give her anything to drink after 6:30pm, and I have her use the potty right before bedtime...HELP!!!!

pamelajqs

Asked by pamelajqs at 7:32 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My daughter potty trained at 2, she's almost 3 and still wets 5 nights out of the week. My son potty trained at 2.5 and after about 1 month of being day trained he was staying dry at night! I think she just needs time, there's nothing you can do to speed up the process, her body has to be physically ready to hold her bladder overnight.
    pitter_patter

Answer by pitter_patter at 7:35 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• My daughter was completely potty trained a little after she turned 3 and she has never wet the bed! So maybe give her a little more time to get it right
    Deidra08

Answer by Deidra08 at 8:02 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Just recently has she started waking up at night to go pee and she has been potty trianed since she was 2 and she is 3 years and 3 months.
    lvnmygrlz

Answer by lvnmygrlz at 8:23 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• My daughter started staying dry through the night just after her 3rd birthday. My son is 3 now, almost 4, and he still wets a couple nights a week, so he's not quite there yet.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:44 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I guess I am very fortunate, all 3 of my kids stayed dry at night as soon as they were potty trained. My oldest son was almost 3.5 when he was trained, my twin daughter was about 2.5 and my twin son was a couple months before his 3rd bday. Does your dd wear pull-ups to bed? If not, maybe keep her in them for a while longer. My niece was potty trained at 2, but was still wearing pull ups to bed until she was almost 5.
    mauspond

Answer by mauspond at 8:57 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Yes I still put pullups on her at night, but several people has told me that is the problem...because she thinks it is ok to pee when her pull up is on.
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 9:05 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• It is normal and natural. No amount of day time control can change what her body does while she is sound asleep at night. Wetting is common up to age 6 and some kids wet for years longer than that. http://www.aap.org/healthychildren/07winter/wakingupdry.pdf

You can try a couple of things:
    Wait until she outgrows it on her own.
    Wake her before you go to sleep and/or around 2am for a trip to the potty.
    Wait until she is 5 and try a bedwetting alarm.
    Put her in undies for a week and see if she improves over the course of the week. If so, keep going. If not, back to pull ups for a while.

Make sure she knows this is common. It can be a large self-image issue for kids.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:43 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Zoe can stay dry through the night but she forgets first thing in the morning to go right away so I keep her in a pull up at night
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 4:03 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Option 1) buy a bunch of waterproof sheets and put the girl in undies for bed. set your alarm so you get no more than 3 hours of sleep before waking up so you can carry her to the toilet and hold the sleeping child on it til something happens.... repeat every night til she grows a bigger bladder..

Option 2) Don't worry about what every one else's kids are doing and "go with the flow" so to speak.. if she isn't ready for all night dryness then take a chill pill and don't freak.. she is a perfectly normal child. Gently remind her to try and stay dry and praise her if/when she does but don't stress if she has an accident.. it's all part of growing up.
    Angelbluewingsz

Answer by Angelbluewingsz at 7:49 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• My advice...just accept, buy her some pull-ups and don't make a fuss about it. My oldest was dry over night a year before she was actually day trained (she started staying dry at night before she turned 2 but didn't start using the potty until after she turned 3).
    My son finally stopped wetting the bed at 6 1/2 although he still has a accident here and there a year later.
    My middle daughter is 6 1/2 and still wets the bed almost every night. She wears pull-ups and has started wetting the bed when she naps. She is just a really heave sleeper and is impossible to wake up once she is asleep.
    My youngest just turned 3 and has been potty trained for 6 months now and stopped wearing pull-ups shortly after training. The only reason she kept wearing them was because she couldn't hold it long enough to make it upstairs to pee.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:11 AM on Apr. 21, 2009