• In the Spotlight:

how do i aproach my grandson about suicide..not spelled right...

ok...over the weekend my gs was playing with his cousin whos 11,,gs is 9..well gs told cousin he was thinking bout hanging him self..so my question is..how do i talk to him about suicide as i have no clue about this...thanks everyone

kathy378

Asked by kathy378 at 7:36 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• why would he even be talking about that??
    IRA871

Answer by IRA871 at 7:37 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• You have stumped me, I would kind of walk around the issue a little bit though. Ask him subtle questions about school, friends, girls, how he is feeling?? Try to pry a little bit if he has a hard time opening up about these things... You have to get to the root of the problem... Maybe it is just something he heard someone else say, kids are really good at repeating things. I don't know the context it was said in, was he mad?? Were him and his cousin just playing around?? You know him better than most, so stay close, and keep the lines of communication open. Make yourself his go to person...GL
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 7:41 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Yah, thats real young to even think something like that. If it were me I would call his Doctor and go from there. Good Luck.
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 7:42 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• When I was in high school I remember a classmate telling me he attempted it, not sure if he really did, but it is something to not take lightly. Talk to your grandson.
    IRA871

Answer by IRA871 at 7:44 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• chiildren as young as 8 have committed suicide. do not treat this lightly. call your family doctor, or local mental health office, for a referral immediately; only a professional can determine if this is a true cry for help. don't wait, call now.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:45 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I would confront him openly. "Your cousin said you told him you want to hang yourself. Can you tell me why?" IF he is truly thinking about it, the idea that someone knows may stop him. If he is not serious, and was trying to be funny or play a joke or something, this will be your opportunity to show him how serious suicide is and why it is not something to be joked about or talked about lightly. I would also seriously consider, regardless of how he responds, getting him into some kind of counseling. I think it's an awfully detailed statement to make as a joke, and I would be very concerned.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:52 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I agree with the other ladies. Do not take this lightly. You can call the suicide prevention hotline and they should be able to advise you.

Suicide Prevention Hotline
    1-800-273-TALK
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 8:28 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Sit down and calmly ask him if there is something bothering him. This is not something to taken lightly. I would seriously recommend having him talk to a counselor. IF he was joking he needs to understand that this is not a funny topic,not something to joke about. There was a 10 yr old in my city that hung himself. There were 4 kids in one high school that killed themselves. It is nothing to joke about, overlook or do nothing about. Talk to his teachers or counselor at school. That would be an excellent place to start.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:30 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• i believe you should be safe then sorry and get him some counseling, my cousin tryed to comit suicide and after her incident, she had to see a therapist. it helped her alot
    monica_sky1225

Answer by monica_sky1225 at 2:37 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• When my son was about 8 or 9 he would say he was going to kill himself for different reasons, all trivial. For instance, his older brother got a cell phone and he didn't. Or he wasn't allowed to ride his bike on a hilly, windy road. I had a talk with him about death being permanent and the effects it had on the people he loved and that loved him, and told him how much it hurt us to know this was something he thought about, and his threats stopped. I don't think he really understood what death was about, he just wanted to get back at us for not bowing down to him and giving in to his every whim. If he is an otherwise well adjusted 9 yo, I would try this approach. Actually, I would try this approach anyway.... at least you can assess the situation and decide if he needs further help. Whatever you do, take action NOW.... this isn't something you want him to try just to get attention.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 9:45 AM on Apr. 21, 2009