Newborn ....constipated...?

My newborn stools are greenish and more firm......should I stop using the ready to use and go with the powder to see or what.....she is 5 days old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:37 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would not used powdered formula with a 5 day old baby, too dangerous. I'd wait until baby was 4-6 weeks old before using powdered.
    The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says the danger with powdered formula is that -- unlike the liquid kind -- it cannot be sterilized, which makes it vulnerable to bacteria growing in it.
    This is why they are not allowed to used powdered formula in a NICU.
    "There have been deaths all across the country related to powder infant formulas. And what is so shocking about it, is hardly anyone knows it. It's like leaving a loaded gun in a nursery."
    As for the green stools, I don't know what to tell you, my kids never had any formula so I don't know what formula poop is supposed to look like.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:41 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• It's probably too early to tell right now. All babies are different, some go more than once a day and others go every two or three days. Some only go once a week. I don't think the ready to use formula would have anything to do with it.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:42 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• old time remedy...mix about a teaspoon of light karo syrup into the babys formula or water bottle or cereal. i dont know what it is with the karo syrup but it works. I have 4 grown kids and it worked for each one of them...my moma swore by it.
    Anonymous

• All formulas will have negative stool affects. You can still breastfeed or use another woman's milk if you really want what's best for the baby.
    Anonymous

• karo syrup is not recommended! it can cause dehydration! talk to her dr. and if need be, save her stool (and diaper) in a plastic baggie to show her dr. or if your easily grossed out just take a pic. at that age she is still getting used to everything and in a few days your should see a difference. if not call the dr. and talk to the nurse on duty and they will tell you what to do.

F43L34

Answer by F43L34 at 11:25 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• She can have powder if you want. But as long as her poop isn't HARD and she is going at least every 3 days she is fine, no need to worry.
    NICU's do use powder... at least the one that I work in does.. it adds powder to breastmilk to fortify it.
    Do NOT give your baby Karo syrup it's not safe.
    If she does have problems with going call your pediatrician and see what they think you should do... they might suggest 1/2 oz of pear juice or rectal stimulation to get things going.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:34 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• YIKES!!! Do NOT put Karo syrup in your babys bottle!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 8:15 AM on Apr. 21, 2009