Has anyone ever known of a kid to get an infection from a scraped knee or elbow?

Just saw a neosporin commercial and wondered if its a real thing. lol I have never heard of not using ointment causing an infection before.

Have you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:45 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Kids' Health

• It doesn't happen often, but any open skin injury (scrape, cut, scratch, puncture) can get infected. Neosporin CAN prevent the infection, if one is starting (say from a scratch on a germ covered nail), but you won't get infected just b/c you didn't use it. I personally put neosporin on all our injuries just b/c it does help them heal faster.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:48 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Cuts and Scrapes
    You can get an infection whenever your skin is broken, whether it's a scraped knee or a gunshot wound. Scrapes or abrasions occur when one or more layers of skin are torn or scraped off. They happen so often they may seem unimportant, but they should be treated to reduce the chance of infection or scarring. A cut, dirty scrape or puncture wound is a good reason to review you immunizations and make sure your tetanus is up to date.

Cuts
    Minor cuts damage only the skin and the fatty tissue beneath it. They usually heal without permanent damage. More serious cuts may damage muscles, tendons, blood vessels, ligaments, or nerves. These cuts should be examined by a doctor.

A puncture wound is a small but deep hole produced by a sharp object such as a pin, nail, tack, needle, tooth, or fang.
    peggy353

Answer by peggy353 at 7:53 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Oh goodness, yes! My oldest used to constantly have her scrapes turn into small infections. She wouldn't let us clean out her wounds. She had problems around her knees. It seems like we were constantly batteling it one summer. The cut or scrape would start to heal over, but then turn bright red and fill up with pus! It was gross and she hated us to mess with it to clean it out and fix it.

Luckily we haven't had problems with infection in a long long time... but she is old enough now to let us properly clean her wounds (well, most of the time anyway! she's 10 now)

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 8:02 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Yes, my sons scrapes tend to get infected. I wash them, put neosporin on it and cover with a bandaid but he takes them off and it gets infected. Boys also tend to pick at them. I have a large stock of Hydrogen Pyroxide and just pour tons of it on the scrapes until it stops bubbling.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:41 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• WOW! Interesting. I have never really heard of a cut doing that. Seriously I havent. I guess I sound sheltered. lol
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:59 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Neosporin CAUSED infections in me. I hate that stuff.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 12:01 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Yup. We get kids in the hospital from infected cuts and scrapes sometimes. They come in with what's called Cellulitis, an infection of the skin. Sometimes they need to stay several days on IV antibiotics or need surgery to clear it up.
    I don't think neosporin would have helped them much though.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:40 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Any opening in the skin can lead to an infection. Does that mean you'll get one if you don't use some sort of cream or ointment? No. But if not kept clean, even a slight scrape can lead to an infection.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:19 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Of course they can get infected. Wash it thoughly. If your kid is the kind to roll in the dirt, then spray it with a liquid bandage or use a regular bandage with a teeny dab of antibiotic ointment (the house brand is fine, no need to pay the advertising budget of the name brand).

Answer by rkoloms at 5:39 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Well, as someone who grew up in third world countries, I will have to say yes, of course it is possible. Any break in the skin is an opening for germs and bacteria. . . now having said that, with the amount of antibacterials that are used on regular basis in most homes in the western world, there usually aren't really that many bacteria around in the average home. If he cut his knee, on the side walk, in down town New York, now you might have a problem, but in your back yard it's pretty unlikely in the USA.
    Panditacjp

Answer by Panditacjp at 6:33 PM on Apr. 21, 2009