I got 2 baby chicks that my brother gave my kids for easter...how do I tell if they are male or female?..and also how do I get poop that is stuck off of one of thems butt?...lol its so nasty but it is really stuck..please help me...

I have never had baby chicks I'm not sure how exactly they are suppose to get taking care of...if anyone knows can you pleeeeaaassseee help me just tell me what to do...and how to tell if they are male or female and how to get the poop off thier butt when its stuck..how often do they need to eat and drink?

TalindasMommy

Asked by TalindasMommy at 7:46 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Pets

• my dad raises chicks.

Are they still yellow, no feathers?
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:47 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• www.strombergschickens.com/stock/chick_care.php

Check out this web site. It gives you some general info. They require a pretty good amount of care. My dad keeps them in an incubator to stay warm, b/c their is no mother.

You also need special chick feed, they peck a lot.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:50 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• To get the poop off you could try putting a plastic baggie over your fingers and then dipping your finger's into a bottle of conditer and try working it off that way. Sounds nasty I know but it just might work!
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 7:54 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• no they have feathers now...the guy that sold them to my brother said to keep them under a light for 3 more weeks then take the light away
    TalindasMommy

Answer by TalindasMommy at 7:55 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• If they are to that stage they should make it. They seem to be fragile little creatures. My dad has a hard time keeping them alive when they are yellow. Usually by the time they have feathers they will make it. :)

Check out that site. It will get you started.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:56 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I watched an episode of dirty jobs where he had to sex baby chicks. But I don't remember how, I think it had something to do with the wings. It was a hysterical show though!
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 10:40 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• It's hard for an EXPERIENCED person to tell the sex of a chick. Now that the chicks have lost their fuzz it will be hard to tell if they are male or female until they are several weeks old. THEN you'll be able to tell by the size of their comb (roosters have a larger comb than the hens), rooster tail feathers are longer and they grow larger than a hen. If you've got both of the same sex, you won't be able to compare, but roosters will try to crow while hens will still chirp. If you have two hens, they will start laying eggs between 16 and 20 weeks old.

If you want to clean their butts off, use a damp cloth and water.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:50 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I think it has something to do with the size or color of the comb. A rooster has a bigger one and he usually grows bigger than a hen too. No idea about the poop. We've had them since I was a kid, and once they're past the "fragile" stage, they were always kept in a coop to keep dogs, cats, etc. from getting to them. They were fed chicken feed and dry corn kernals. Never paid much attention to the bottoms of them though. hahaha. Good luck with that....
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 1:57 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• To get the poop off, I would take a washcloth, run really warm water on it, squeeze it out. I would hold it on the chick's bottom to loosen most of it, then rub it off gently. Works with other animals!
    Anonymous

• You can sex a chick 2 different ways. Blow forcefully on the butthole of the chick and it will be stimulated to open wide, if you see a complete open hole it is a male. If the hole is separated by a thin membrane in the middle it is a female. Most of the easter chicks are unwanted males.
    The other way is to gently put your index finger and thumb around their necks and hold them up in the air by their heads. If it is a male it will squirm, a female will go limp.
    The dry poop on their butts must be removed immediately it can cause death very quickly, also note that baby chicks this age have a death rate anyway of about 20% naturally. They need fresh water and chick starter every 12 hours and a constant temperature of 98 degrees or they will die. My guess is that by now, your chicks are probably getting sick if you haven't found out this info online somewhere. Baby chicks are a pain to keep alive.
    Anonymous