when should he be old enough to support the weight of his own head?

he's going on 4 mo's now & we still have to hold him like a new born with full support of his head is he slow? could there be a prob with his muscle development? and no he doesn't have a really big head. it's average.

Funsizefairy

Asked by Funsizefairy at 7:52 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think that he is still in the normal time frame... I wouldn't start to worry just yet. Give him another month or two....
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 7:56 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• ask your dr. i know al l babies r different, but my daughter would pick up her head for 10 to 15 seconds at a time when she was born. at 4 months if she was on her belly she would hold her head up for about 5 minutes without getting tired. being help upright she kept her head up for however long you were holder her for. just ask his pediatrician they will be able to look into it for you.. good luck!!!
    tatmum

Answer by tatmum at 7:56 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• My daughter was holding her head up by 2 weeks and sitting up on her own at 3.5 months. All babies are different. Talk to the doctor if your concerned. If he can lift and hold up his head during tummy time then he is fine. Practice with him while he is sitting up so he gets muscle control.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 7:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I think you are fine, when my LO was that small it took her awhile to gain full control of her head, ask your pedi office for the exercises to help strengthen his neck muscles.
    lvnmygrlz

Answer by lvnmygrlz at 8:09 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I'm not sure. All of my babies could at a couple weeks, a couple of them could at birth. My 7 week old always supports his own head.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 9:20 PM on Apr. 20, 2009