Feeding Baby

I know I have already asked my food question already, but what are safe foods vs not safe foods for babies (ie: I know peanuts, strawberries and honey is a no-no) Is there anything else?

The reason I am asking is bc I gave my baby some mashed avacado..and now I'm concerned that I should have not given it to her.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

brownie75

Asked by brownie75 at 8:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They say no peanut butter until 1 year, no sea food or hot dogs. My daughter is 7 months and eats everything. SHe only eats table food and avacodo's are good for her. If you notice a rash then she may have an allergy but if she liked it and is fine its no big deal. Oh also no bread for a year or so the doctors say. Our daughter eats crackers, cheerio's, bread, toast. Oh and no eggs.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 8:10 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Mashed avocado is a great first food! "First foods for babies" on the La Leche Legue site http://www.llli.org/FAQ/firstfoods.html recommends it as a first food.
    they also say:
    "#

To minimize the risk of allergies, it's a good idea to wait until your baby is at least a year old before introducing citrus fruits (including oranges, lemons, and grapefruit) kiwi, strawberries, peanuts and peanut butter, eggs, soy products (including soy milk and tofu), and cow's milk (including cheeses, yogurt, and ice cream). If there is a family history of food allergy, consult your doctor or allergist for advice on when to start your baby on these more-allergenic foods; it may differ from recommendations for babies without allergic history.
    Babies under a year should not be given honey or corn syrup as they carry the risk of botulism."
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:14 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Max is 8 months old and he LOVES avocado!!
    Liz0808

Answer by Liz0808 at 9:09 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• if no one related to you or you SO is allergic to it then go for it. but just remember the key rule. only introduce one new food each week. this way you can give her time to get used to it and if there is an allergy you wont be confused as to which item you fed her made her react that way. Have Fun! ^.^
    F43L34

Answer by F43L34 at 10:59 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Mashed avocados are actually one of the best first foods to give a baby, because they are so high in the healthy fats that babys need for brain development!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 8:13 AM on Apr. 21, 2009