Does anyone else hate..

Waiting for water to boil? Talk about frustrating!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:14 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Yup, and what I hate even more is when my SO turns the temp all the way up and burns my pot because he waited too long to start it!
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 8:15 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Do you put hot tap water on HIGH? That usually works faster having the water already hot and the temp on the highest setting. But yea, waiting sucks.
    aluvk4evr

Answer by aluvk4evr at 8:15 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I know, I hate it. I've learned not to watch it. Like they say "a watched pot never boils".
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 8:21 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Be sure to put the lid on, that will make it boil faster. And salt in it will also make it boil faster, since salt water has a lower boiling point than plain water.
    I love my cookware. I don't think they even make or sell it anymore, but the knobs on the lids have a whistling device built in. So I can put the water on to boil, and when it is boiling, the pot whistles and reminds me. It's saved many a pot.

Answer by Bmat at 8:42 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• aluvk4evr: You should NEVER start with hot water, there is something in the water that makes it taste bad.

ALWAYS start with cold water, add lots of salt, cover with a lid and it should boil within 10 minnutes, if that (depending on the amount of water use need to boil).

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:00 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• lol, Tyfry7496, guess I never noticed a taste. But thank you, now I'm curious and I'm gonna try it next time to see if I can tell a difference.
    aluvk4evr

Answer by aluvk4evr at 12:15 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• when starting to cook the first thing you should do is to preheat the oven, start the stove if it is electric, or put you pans on to heat when using gas asap and cover the pot and the water will boil faster if you cover the pot. also add the salt to the water after it comes to a boil. slat water boils at a little higher temp .
    and thay is Not true about cold/hot water. the only thing would be if you had a bunch of sedimant in your water heater. hot water WILL boil faster!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 10:05 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• This is why I use an electric kettle - it boils the water much faster and, as a bonus, uses less energy to do it. I especially like using the kettle for camping b/c it saves on propane and, as a side note, have you ever tried to boil water on a propane stove? It takes eons...lol
    Anonymous