SCARED.

I found out about a month ago that i am pregnant with my second child, my worry is that up until i found out (i found out at about 6 weeks) i had been drinking up until i saw the faint second red line. i went to the doctor about a week later and got my prengancy confirmed but i was wondering if anyone else drank until they found out they were pregnant i want to know the risks i have with my child. im scared that i might have done something to hurt it. i have not drank a drop since i have found out but im so worried please ! if anyone drank until they found out i just want to know the risks i have with my baby! i just want to know everything is ok with the baby and i didnt do anything to jeopradize him/her. please let me know!

saraface5383

Asked by saraface5383 at 8:18 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes I found out at 6 weeks and 4 days. She was a good 8 lbs 13 oz and 22 inches long. Healthy and has 10 fingers and toes. She was and is perfectly fine. Don't stress out to much its one thing to not know and do it and another to continue once you find out. Unless your drinking daily and in large amounts you should be fine as well as the baby.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 8:20 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I was working at a bar when I got pregnant, so yeah I was drinking pretty much every single night and usually pretty heavily. I quit as soon as I even thought I was pregnant, and my dd was born healthy as can be!
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 8:21 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Oh gosh - do not worry. I have to be honest alot of women I know have done alot worse. Dont worry I drank ,not daily but I did. I stopped when I found out like you.
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 8:21 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Despite what we are taught about how there is "no safe amount" of alcohol, it takes A LOT of booze to give a baby FAS (fetal alcohol syndrome). 7 out of 10 mothers admit to drinking during pregnancy and of those 7, 1 admits to drinking 7 or more drinks per week, throughout their pregnancies. Only 1 in 12,000 babies are born with FAS. That's how much it takes.

That is not to say that you have license to continue drinking. STOP. Don't risk it. It's not worth it. But you can rest easy, knowing that in all liklihood your baby is fine :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 8:24 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• They do not know how much alcohol causes Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, so in other words it could be one drink, or 50 drinks. I would talk to your doctor they will know what to do. I am not sure if it is something they can test for before the birth I'm pretty sure you'll have to wait until the baby is born. Good Luck!
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 8:25 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• My daughter is very bright and a wonderful person and I was wasted the weekend before I found out. I only realized cuz a hangover doesn't usually last for 3 days!! You will be fine...and so will the kid!
    Anonymous

• I found out I was pregnant at 12 weeks...I worked at as a bartender and everynight before I went home I had a drink or two. And I am sure there are a few weekends where I had much more.My daughter is about to be 7 and she is and was fine and very smart. Talk to your doctor but I am sure everything will be fine.
    Carli26

Answer by Carli26 at 8:34 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• i am pregnant too and had the same concerns, but dont fret, babys are very resillient, and I know moms who smoked, drank, took pills, etc.. and nothin happened, but one mom I know did have "placental abrubtions" w/ two births cause of her habits while pregnant. But, still dont woory cause she continued to use throughout the pregnancy, Im not talkin bout someone who messed up before they knew. And even the moms I know who continued to use throughout the whole thing, (like in the 60;s) most didnt have any probs. Just be smart, take vitamins, dont drink now, and God will bless you in many ways. Good luck!!
    MARS1982

Answer by MARS1982 at 8:52 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I know someone who did that plus weed and smoking and the baby turned out fine! wouldnt suggst it but dont worry too much =)
    Anonymous