My first child, and I have a six week discrepency about my due date...any explinations?

I only had sex one time in well over a year and got pregnant. I didn't tell my parents till I was 22wks, I got an US and they moved my due date up from June 5 to May 9 then later they moved it up again up to April 17. When I got my official diognostic US at 29wks (by conseption date) and my made my official due date on April 24 I go in for a non stress test on April 30 and we will have them mesure the head...if it is 92mm across or bigger then I will let them induce me on May 1 like they want to...that is safe right? Any theroys on why I have six week discrepency? I don't have ges. diabetes or any normal or abnormal things "wrong" with me that could explain it. Our only theroy is that he is just fast developing.

TheaterRatMom

Asked by TheaterRatMom at 8:21 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Thats odd. 6 weeks is a big difference and they can tell with all the blood work how far along you are not only with the ultra sounds. Being induced is perfectly fine and safe but like any procedure has its risks. diabetes would not give you a 6 week earlier due date. Are you sure you didn't have sex earlier then you thought? I have never heard of something giving you a 6 week earlier due date unless you conceived earlier. So you really need to make sure you had sex the day you think you did.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 8:25 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I can't stress this enough, so please pay close attention. If you only had sex once and got pregnant then calculate your due date here by clicking the box "conception date". Enter the date you had sex.
    http://www.amazingpregnancy.com/duedate/index.html

DO NOT let them move up your due date or induce you before your correct due date without serious medical reasons.

The reason you want to avoid early induction is called iatrogenic prematurity. It's where the doctor makes the baby be born too early. That's bad because it puts your baby at all kinds of risks for respiratory problems, higher SIDS rates and all that good stuff.

They move up due dates later in pregnancy because ultrasound is VERY inaccurate after 12 weeks gestation. Your doctor is being stupid by moving up your due date based on an ultrasound when you're SURE you concieved later than that

PM me if you want more info. I'm a childbirth educator :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 8:31 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• One of the technitions told me that my due date should be changed. I talked to my doctor about it and he said the earlier the due date is established the more accurate. My first baby was a big boy. He was over 10lbs. They kept telling me that the due date is off but my doctor said he was just big. I would get a second opinion because you don't want them taking out the baby before its ready.
    ArtisticHPfan

Answer by ArtisticHPfan at 8:35 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Use a pregnancy calculator going by the 1st day of your last period. That will give you a good idea of your due date. I don't understand how the date can change as much as yours has...
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 8:36 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I had an ultra sound at 9 weeks and was told I was due the 20th of Sept then at my 20 week they told me it was the 15th and that was the date I got based off my lmp. I had her the 14th. I've heard maybe a 7 day possibly a 10 day but never 6 full weeks. Ultra sounds are usually good as they measure the bones and that is how they get the date and weight the baby should be. I don't see a doctor inducing 6 weeks early if they are unsure that its the correct due date.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 8:39 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I think the way they figure the due date is kinda "off" anyway. All babies grow differently. With both of my children, we were "trying" so I was pretty accurate on the conception date.

I agree with Ati_13, try her link and see what it gives you, then be FIRM with your doc that you don't want to be induced until it is time, unless there is medical reason for it.

Remember, women have been conceiving and giving birth for a LONG time now. Just take control. This is YOUR baby, YOUR body and YOUR pregnancy. If your current doc won't listen, find a new one!
    CariadSpawn

Answer by CariadSpawn at 8:41 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Ok, im going to add to this question, i appriciate all the advice and it makes my mom and i feel better, cuz we were basicly saying to same thing, that the doc's are crazy and we werent going to show up for an induction if they schedualed it. however we have since seen a doc at the clinic that i have to go to, and FINALLY we got it explained why they wanted to induce me that early, and where the numbers were coming from, and i had an appointment today and im supposedly 39 wks, and they checked my cervix and it is now thinning alittle and im dialated a cm. so i would go on my own soon after they want to induce me in 10 days anyway, and with me in high school it would be alot easier to be induced, but we are still getting a growth test done at my non stress test next thursday before we let them think about inducing me, because i want my baby to be healthy, thats the most important thing. but everything is normal and on schedual.
    TheaterRatMom

Answer by TheaterRatMom at 7:26 PM on Apr. 21, 2009