24 oz. of milk...but he drinks less....is that ok?

my son is pretty much weaned off formula and as of tomorrow will be on all reg. milk. he seems happy with 6 oz per serving, and drinks 3 a day. I have been hearing 24 oz. is what he should have, but is 18 oz. a day ok? he just turned one. or should I try offering 8 oz at each serving even though he probably wont drink it all? suggestions pleeeeeez thanks =)

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 8:31 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Once your baby is weened.. it is assumed that he/she is also being given other forms of food/nourishment (ie; fruit, veggies, protein, dairy, grain). 24oz sounds like a lot to me. Milk is not supposed to "replace" formula/breast milk... but provide a supplement to what your child may not be getting in his/her daily food intake yet. This is a common misconception.

My daughter hated whole milk so I ended up giving her 2%, but she also ate a wide variety of food really well. So, it was not a problem that she was not reaching her milk quota since she was getting her nutritional needs met via other sources.

Best wishes.

Anonymous

• 18 is fine 24 is usually the max until 2 then it goes up. As long as he is drinking it offer him as much or as little as he wants and will take.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 8:33 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• thanks!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 8:34 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• My doc said that they only need about 1/2 oz of milk per pound of body weight. Not every kid will drink the 24 oz that is recommended. My LO has never taken in the recommended amounts of formula or milk, but she is on the petite side.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:37 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• i think it is ok, but bring it up at the 1 yr check up
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:41 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• 18 oz should be just fine. You may find he drinks more as he gets bigger and more use to milk.
    Anonymous

• At 12 months my first pedi recommended no more than 15 oz per day of milk so we tried to cut back.... we've moved and our new one says more, but I'm not worried... she eats yogurt and cheese.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:34 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• correction : "no more than 15-20 oz per day"
    EmilySusan

• Ya. it wont hurt him. 24 oz is a lot. they recommend 24 for an adult. kids usually consume what their bodies need. if its a concern about calcium, get him vitamins
    MommyRuby2008

Answer by MommyRuby2008 at 10:27 PM on Apr. 20, 2009