Terrible daycare kids?!

I have some of THE WORSE kids at daycare. I work with 3-4 year olds. I have one that kicks/spits. I have another who's violent & says "no" to everything & curses. I have one who may have mental problems b/c he is BEYOND "just bad." He doesn't listen at all & he goes to the bathroom in his pants on purpose. I am new & I had no idea what I was walking into. I have worked w/ children before, but none this bad. A lot of them have backgrounds I don't know about-like a girl who was taken away by DHR.

All the rules that are supposed to apply to pre-k kids have gone out the window. Even the techniques my boss give me do not work. My class is mainly 3 year olds & they are all on different levels. I have one who's advanced...then a few who can barely say their ABCs. It's so difficult catering to different intellectual levels.

They have made me physically ill. I don't want to give up, but they're driving me insane! Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:32 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Welcome to preschool. I have a degree in Early childhoood education. I also work in a preschool, I teach music and computers to 2-6 year olds.

You are right about not knowing about their backgrounds. We as teachers NEVER know what that child goes through on a daily basis. They may not eat, they may be abused, they may see daddy hit mommy, ect ,ect. Some kids have a rough life.

Also, there may be underlying emotional, mental and developmental issues that have not been dealt with. Being in preschool is a calling, you have to keep reminding yourself that you can do it and that they NEED someone who can love them, even when they are unloveable.

We have one 2 year old who bits and scratches teachers on a daily basis. Her mother tries her best but her dd just seems to act out for no reason.

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:39 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• That is rough!! The only time I had multiple 3-4 year olds was when I was a MOPS teacher at the Methodist Church. I was SO lucky!! All the kids (15 or so) were really sweet and well behaved...

I couldn't handle being in a classroom with kids like yours.... wow!
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 8:39 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• The squeeky wheel gets the greese. i dont know the ratio in your classroom but i would try to give them the most attention and love. Try to find the positive things that they do, and encurage them to learn at the other kids level. they do need you, and i can tell that you care about them just try your best and be patient....... good luck
    raechill44

Answer by raechill44 at 11:28 PM on Apr. 20, 2009