For moms who know about childhood asthma, would you worry about my son?

He is 5.5 and for over a year I have noticed that he takes deep breaths over and over. He is NOT exercising or anything, usually he does it when he is calm.

He doesnt notice me watching him, but he will do it over and over again. Like he cant get a deep breath and he keeps trying.

Does this sound like asthma or what?

mom2twobabes

Asked by mom2twobabes at 8:33 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I wouldn't call it asthma but I would possible have him checked out. It can't be called asthma unless there is wheezing involved and not being able to get your breath and wheezing are completely different things.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:35 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Have you asked him about it? You should hear wheezing or gasps if he is not getting enough air. He may just like the feeling of it. Ask him if he can breathe and if he feels okay and listen for wheezing and usually with asthma comes hard coughs and things as well.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 8:36 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I would take him to his pediatrician and have him checked. There are different kinds of asthma, my son has the kind that comes on when he gets a cold/flu. He will wheeze, and I can put my ear on his chest, have him take some deep breaths and if his bronchile tubes are inflamed I will be able to hear it. He uses a nebulizer with the albuterol solution. If you have any other questions ask away!!
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 8:39 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• It could be asthma, there doesn't have to be wheezing to have asthma. My son had asthma and no wheezing, I have asthma and rarely wheezing. Ask him how it feels when he breathes. Kids tend to say things like a fish without water, an elephant sitting on my chest. I tend to cough a lot and there is tightness in my chest. He needs to be taken in to the doctor and checked out. Issues with breathing are nothing to fool around with.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:39 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• OP HERE: I have never noticed any wheezing. No coughing. Just the deep breaths.

I just asked him and he pointed to his chest and said it felt HOT and he needed to get air there.???

What do you make of that?

I need to make him an appointment ;(
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:43 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• It could be a habit he's forming, I would try to see if he can 'not' do it, like if you see him doing it once tell him to not do it again, if he tries to stop himself and can't then and it continues, especially if there's even the slightest wheeze I would at the least talk to his pediatrician about it to have his air flow measured, or if you know anybody with asthma get a peek flow meter to see where he is when he's taking those deep breaths.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 9:29 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Is he ABLE to take the deep breaths? If he's having breathing problems he most likely won't be able to get much air in. You'd see more short, shallow breaths.

If he's not getting enough oxygen you'll notice the color of his lips start to fade and his nailbeds with look blue or purpleish. I believe dialated pupils are a sign as well.

If I was you and he seemed ok for the moment, I would take note of every time it happens. Note the time, activity, and how many times he does it. That way when you finally DO go to the doctor you have some kind of log they can see to get a better idea.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:37 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I would listen to his chest and back and see what you hear... if there are wheezes then I would talk to his pediatrician about it.
    If no wheezes then I wouldn't worry about it being asthma. Maybe he is just sighing... sometimes kids do it when they are tired.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:37 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I don't think it sounds like asthma (myself and two of my boys have it), however....I think it warrants having it checked out by a pediatrician.

Does he only do it when resting? Is he eating or sitting funny when he does it? Start a journal and record when he does it, what he's doing (or not doing), what he just ate or drank...anything and everything when he does it.

I think it's probably just a habit he's developed, but I know there are times when I feel like I can't get enough air into my lungs...usually when I've sat slouched for too long! lol
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:17 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Talk to his doctor and have him checked. Frequent and/or continuous deep breaths could be many different things, not all of them bad either. Asthma is one possibility, but your saying he says it feels "hot" brings to mind reflux. If he is having silent reflux (reflux w/o vomit), then he could be feeling a burning sensation in his chest, which would explain the hot feeling he's describing. Keep track of when he starts the deep breaths; Does he seem to do it more after having eaten certain foods like tomato sauce, juice or chocolate? Does he seem to only do it after he's had a big meal? If so, these could be indications that he is experiencing silent reflux.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:47 AM on Apr. 21, 2009