• In the Spotlight:

Do you think wearing baby in sling/constantly holding makes them clingy?

My 6 week old is very clingy. I can barely put her down at all. I try to get her to nap in her crib but it's a constant battle. On days where I don't want to fight, I just wear her in a sling and she's happier. I'm worried she's going to be clingy when she gets older. If you wore/ carried your baby constantly as a newborn, was he/she clingy when they grew up?

danielp

Asked by danielp at 8:40 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mine isn't clingy....
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 8:42 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Babies are biologically designed to be in constant body contact with their mothers until they can voluntarily crawl off her lap.

My daughter was a very needy baby. She cried constantly and I could never put her down. I co-slept and she napped in the sling. I got stuff done and she was happy, and now she is 11 months old and very independant. She still wants mommy sometimes. But she loves to be crawling around on the floor, getting into stuff :)

Studies have shown that children who are carried more cry less and are more independant when they grow up, because they are confident that all their needs will be met.

Read up on attachment parenting, you will be pleasantly surprised. Another good read is Our Babies Ourselves by Marideth Small. You'll learn a lot :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 8:45 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I didn't find that with my kids. They were off on their own as soon as they could toddle. :) It won't last long, enjoy it.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 8:46 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• You absolutely cannot spoil an infant with touch, affection, hugs, or kisses!!!!!!!!!! If you're baby is happier & it works for you, keep it up!
    Anonymous

• She's only 6 weeks old...at that age, they need to be held as much as possible.
    When they show signs of wanting to be out of the sling, don't force it on them. My daughter started wanting to play on the floor with her activity gym when she was about 3 months old...before then, she wanted to be held all the time, which was ok.

Now that she's 10 months old, she doesn't want to be held much at all! She's too busy exploring her environment. Enjoy it while you can!
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:49 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Babies are naturaly clingy. They can't survive without you and they know it. I know it can be a pain, but someday your little one won't need you anymore, and won't want to cuddle with you and you'll miss this stage, so love her all you can, enjoy the time you have with her... That's what I tell myself when I feel that way
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 8:50 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Normal, not clingy. For napping in the crib, she may not be ready yet (mine still preferred to nap in her swing or on me at this age), but you could try really tight swaddling. Even if you think she doesn't like it I'd keep trying periodically, because my first daughter didn't like it as a very young baby, but started sleeping great with one of those velcro swaddle blankets around 7 weeks... it was great because she could finally sleep in her own space (my husband and I did not want to co-sleep but were doing it out of desperation).
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:11 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• No. I WSH my son was a little clingy at times. Instead he's always off doing his own thing. He was worn ALL the time until 17 months when he took off running. Now he only lets us wear him when he's tired. He's 25 months now.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 9:12 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• no.
    RoseWall

Answer by RoseWall at 9:37 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• No. But if yours is, everyone is going to blame the sling. :) My two children are complete opposites, and I do everything exactly the same. I wore my toddler more when she was an infant, and all I hear is "no mommy" all day. She even wants me to leave the bathroom for her to pee.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:47 PM on Apr. 20, 2009