Strawberries?

I was just reading a question on here that said not to give your baby strawberries. I had never heard that and I have given them to my dd. She didn't have any sort of problem. I just wanted to know if babies can't have them and why? Till what age?

Liz132

Asked by Liz132 at 8:41 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Strawberries, pineapple and kiwi are high allergy fruits. :) Some kids can't handle it early and some not at all. Just not one of the first choices.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 8:47 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• just high allergin... they say usually dont try them till kids are two and have better immunities.
    tatmum

Answer by tatmum at 8:48 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Well there just not one of the things her doc said she couldn't have, but maybe it's because me and her father don't have any allergys so she would be at high risk. I don't know just a guess.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 8:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Sorry they're
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 8:59 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Like others said high allergen. My now 4 year olds cheeks would turn bright red when she would eat baby food with strawberries in it. So we quit and tried again later and she didn't have anymore problems. My 9 month old hasn't had any reactions to the babyfood with strawberries.
    scrappincrazee

Answer by scrappincrazee at 9:22 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Kiwi too? I didn't know that, oops, I just gave it to my 7.5 mo yesterday. Good thing no reaction. We gave strawberries by around 10 months because we had no history of allergies in the family and she was fine... but I think they say 12 months.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:38 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Yeah, if you've given it and no reaction, don't worry about it. I didn't know, and my dd was nine months and got awful butt rashes. She grew out of it before 18 months.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:48 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• High allergen food. With fruits... the smaller the seed the higher the allergy risk.
    If you have already given it a few times she is fine.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:29 AM on Apr. 21, 2009