telling a baby no...

My son is 5 months old, and acts like he might start actually crawling any day now. I have the house baby proofed, but I know hes gonna touch things I don't want him too. My mom said I should start telling him no now. Is he too young to learn that? She said that if I don't start teaching him now then hes gonna run the house when he gets to walking and running around.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:51 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• he may not get it now, but if it is a consistant, he will catch on
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:52 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• my daughter understands the word NO and many many more...
    lilysmommy1408

Answer by lilysmommy1408 at 8:52 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Our daughter is 7 months and once she started rolling over we told her no. Now she gets her hand tapped if she gets told no more than 3 times. If you don't tell him no now then when you do he won't listen so the sooner the better.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 8:52 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• You can start the process early...all language is good at any age but you can't expect him to understand you for months to come and even when he does understand, you can't expect him to obey for months after that. Its good to have a few things out that won't hurt baby but are off limits ...for practice. However, if you really don't want baby touching something then it needs to be out of baby's reach.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 8:53 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• i started telling my LO no(well no ma'am actually) around that time (she was crawling and getting into everything) now she is 7 months and will pause and look at me when i tell her no ma'am sometimes she'll stop sometimes she wont. everytime i tell her no i remove her from the area to a new one so she will know that no means she's not allowed to be where she was, and that's shes not allowed to do what she was doing.
    MaryAndDallen08

Answer by MaryAndDallen08 at 8:53 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• yes, you should say it everytime he touches something that you do not want him touching. He will get the message loud and clear, after several attempts of course. I started at this age with my dd but you know that you should put the breakable things up a little higher out of his reach to avoid over using the word "NO"
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 8:54 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• You can teach her now as long as it is consistent. She has to be able to make sense out of it. My SIL told my nephew "No" all the time, even when it didn't make sense so he didn't get it at all. You can teach her in a few months too. It doesn't mean she's going to run the house just yet. But don't be afraid to be firm with her when you need to be. It's all about tone and consistency.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:59 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• The earlier you start anything, the faster the baby will catch on, and he will understand eventually. If he doesnt before he starts crawling, show him no while saying it. Take him away from whatever it is after you say no.
    MammaBella

Answer by MammaBella at 9:05 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I've always told my son no.. well since he started touching things like my husband wears glasses and the moment he started reaching for them we started telling him no.. We just do it.. I know he may not totally understand it but one day it will all make sence to him and maybe just maybe in a perfect world he will listen lol but I do it and my son is 8 months old
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 9:40 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• It's amazing all the things that people worry about our tiny babies doing down the road. "Oh, no, he's going to rule the house because you gave him a piece of chocolate!" I promise you that learning no is a process, a long process that takes years to fully get, and just because your five month old really wants to stick his finger in a light socket, you do not have a mini Hitler on your hands.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:46 PM on Apr. 20, 2009