How do I deal with a step child that won't listen to me?

I ask over and over for him to do something, for example his room since monday and it took till sunday to do it. Granted he is 7 but at the same time, I have my other son (10) clean his room. Anything I ask it seems like I have to ask repeatedly and I found out last night, my fiance doesn't appriciate the way I ask, I only start to get angry when he undermines me. But as the fiance says

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• This is the problem with getting involved with people who have kids or bringing them into your family with your kids.. unfortunately.. It's something that must be worked out and worked out fast.. otherwise, the family will not survive, nor will your relationship. You have to go into it, knowing where everyone stands.
    Anonymous

• Why do they leave you with a child you cannot disipline? I wouldn't do it. Tell hubby to either allow you to parent in the way you see fit or to not leave him with you.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 11:53 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• You sound as though you are not ready for the added responsibity of this little boy. I can't imagine expecting the same from a 7 yr old as you would a 10 yr old. If a grown man is offended on how you talk to his son then perhaps the child is also not appreciative of how you ask things of him. As for the dog, the boy is 7. The child should not have been outside while you were spraying bees. That was irresponsible of you to have him out and expect him to take on the responsibility of the dog. Put the dog inside or chain him up, don't have a little boy handle that type of situation. They both could have been hurt. It sounds like you need to work through a lot of things and let the little boy be just that. You are the adult. You carry the burden and let him play and be a kid. I think dad will agree to that as well.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:01 AM on Apr. 21, 2009