How do you diciplne a 15 month toddler??

my daughter is 15 months old into everything does bad things all the time bites, throws tantrums, etc. and i need some advice on how ppl dicipline there toddlers, i feel like its impossible.

MetalMomma10

Asked by MetalMomma10 at 9:12 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i am in the same boat as you i have no idea i try spanking or smacking her hand timeouts i am not sure of what to do either
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:15 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Try redirecting her attention and focusing less on the problem. If she's into something she's not suppose to be, draw her attention to a toy or new activity. When it comes to tantrums, ignoring them also works. When my son got into the biting/hitting stage, we immediately put him down, told him biting/hitting was wrong and would ignore him for a little while. SInce she's trying to get your attention, failing to respond makes the behavior less useful. I'd also praise her alot when she's doing what you want her to do. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• If she bites I was always taught to bite back. My GF had to do that with her son and he never did it again. Redirecting is also a good idea. Try to get their attention off from what started the tantrum and into a more positive place.

As for tantrums, I laughed at my DS when he did it and offered suggestions on how to make it better. Like, don't forget to kick your feet and throw your arms around. that sort of stuff. When he didn't get the results he wanted, he quit doing it. Now if he tries it, I nip it in the bud immediately with a firm no and if he doesn't get the hint he is sent to his room for timeout.
    blogginmomma

Answer by blogginmomma at 9:24 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• With toddlers you must be consistent, you have to make sure to be diligent in their discipline so that they know you mean business. That means speaking once and then smacking the hand or leg each and everytime they disobey after the warning is given. You keep that up until they give up and they will but you can't give up first. It works you just have to dedicate yourself to doing it, they catch on very fast, before you know it you'll speak once and they will obey immediately.
    lilhoney

Answer by lilhoney at 9:24 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• You people hit babies? That's sad. At least wait until they can hit back. Then see how you like it.
    Anonymous

• it is not hitting a child there is a diffrence
    Anonymous

• I really like having a timeout chair or spot on the wall to stand in. make them stand in that spot for 1 min..for 1 yr old..2 for 2 yr old..etc. it worked well for for my son!
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 10:03 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• What's the difference? If the child can't explain the difference, then it doesn't matter. If mommy can hit, so can he.
    Anonymous

• Is she trying to get attention??? If this is a possibility, make sure she gets alone time with you so she knows that she doesn't have to act out just to get you to spend time with her. Some children do that just for attention. I wouldn't hit or anything. I'm sure you have tried time out too but sometimes it is POSITIVE reinforcement that works when everything else doesn't. Good luck!
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 10:21 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• We tried time outs but couldn't get her to sit still. The rule is 1 min for each year of age. our daughter didn't like being interupted from play so when she acts up I pick her up, move her away from the play and sit her down, it makes her mad but she gets the point. With the biting I have gone so far as to sit her in her playpen, bed, or crib depending on where we were. After a few visits to her bed she decided she didn't want to bite. Goodluck, hope this helps
    slhash

Answer by slhash at 10:30 PM on Apr. 20, 2009