? about 1 yr old bedtimes

lately my son has been going to bed close to 10pm (and his naps have been later too). for many months it was around 8-830pm.

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 9:41 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe he's ready for one fewer naps during the day. No way, it's not too early for a schedule. At 12 months my daughter had given up her afternoon nap (or tried to push it back way late, which I knew would throw off bedtime...), so we pushed her morning nap back later so she had one long nap midday. Maybe you could try that... Keeping him up a little longer and having him take his first nap right after lunch. THen he should zonk out by 7 or 8pm easily.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:47 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Why the change? I think 8-8:30 is the more appropriate time for that age, personally. As the parent, I would just put him to bed earlier.
    Anonymous

• try knocking off half an hour each day, that way its not drastic and that should get him back to his normal routine. while you are doing that, don't run your errands or anything during his nap time. make sure that gets knocked back too b/c if he sleeps to late in the day he won't be tired at night when its time for bed.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:43 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• well his afternoon bedtimes have been later too. he's been waking up from them around 7pm and just doesnt seem tired by his "normal bedtime". but yes I will probably just try and get him back to at least a 9pm bedtime. is it still early for a schedule? or is now the time to get him used to it since he's a beginning toddler (he just turned one this past sunday)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:45 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• its not too early for a schedule its the perfect time. he may not need the afternoon nap anymore either. my daughter stopped taking hers around that age. hes only up for an hour and a half before his normal bedtime if he sleeps that late. i would try to knock it out alltogether first before doing the half an hour thing and see if that works. just put him down for his morning nap a little later, say after lunch, which i'm assuming would be around 1, let him sleep an hour or two he'd be up no later than 3 and should be plenty tired by 8:30. if that is too much for him and he gets too grumpy than i would wake him up from his naps earlier, both of them, that way he gets tired for his second nap earlier in the day.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:48 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• his morning nap is usually around 11. he's usually up by 1-1:30. he does get kinda cranky in the afternoons if he doesnt nap and I'd hate to just cut it out of the day. if I do still have him take an afternoon nap would I like wake him up 30 minutes before his normal wake up time and progressively go from there till he doesnt take the afternoon nap? and do I just make his morning nap longer? or since his nap is usually around 11 (also depends on when he wakes up which has been about 8am almost on the dot lately), would I, let's say, move it to 1230 or sometime like that?
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:53 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• In theory, cutting out a nap should just make the one nap longer. I would try to push it back gradually, knowing you may have an overtired guy on your hands for a couple of transitional weeks. If he's up at 8 and usually down again at 11, try for 11:30 or 12 if you think he can handle it. If he sleeps for 2 or 2 1/2 hours, then put him down any time after 7. He should make it through. When we first started this it was rough because her first nap was usually at 10, so it took awhile to push it back to after lunch... for you it may be easier. And the one nap schedule is really nice... more time for activities, I found. Which is perfect because he's at the age he's probably starting to enjoy them. Just watch out for him falling asleep in the car if you keep him out too close to lunch... that's the risk in the transitional stage.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:16 PM on Apr. 20, 2009