my 2.5 year old just called me some bad words...

he called me the sh word, the f word, and the f-er word :( What is the appropriate punishment, I'm guessing it's not soap in the mouth?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Uh, yeah, not soap in the mouth. Find out who is using these words in front of him, and get them to cut it out. If you ignore it, he'll stop saying it because he won't get a super fun reaction.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:49 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Give him a sardine. They're good for you, and edible. Nasty as hell though.
    Or maybe a radish, some celery, or something to that nature that tastes nasty.
    Anonymous

• i'd wash his mouth with soap (not alot, enough to give him a taste). if not for you, time out.
    as for the words, where did he hear them? he heard them somewhere, if from you you need to watch what you are saying around him if you don't want him to use the same words again. and if you do slip up, explain to him that mommy said something mean its not nice and its not a word we use and apologize for saying it. that is what my husband and i do if we say something we shouldn't around her and shes said a curse word maybe twice (shes 3) i washed her mouth out with soap one of those times b/c she directed the b word at someone. that is also when i figured out that she really does hear everything and started to apologize if i said something. the next time she said sh** when she stubbed her toe. that time she went to time out and i told her she can say doggie butts when she is mad. which is kinda funny b/c thats what she says now. CONT
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:52 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• and if you have a hard time, find something to substitute, i say son of a monkeys butt now when i'm mad (son of a ...) or bananas, or something anything that is not a curse word...(fiddlesticks and those ones just don't work for me...too well leave it to beaver sounding for it to actually make me feel any better hehe)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:54 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I would NOT put soap in his mouth, he is very young and probably doesn't even realize what those words mean. He is probably just repeating what he is hearing and that is not his fault. Try to make sure no one is talking like that around him. If he doesnt hear it, he won't be repeating it.
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 10:19 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• IMO most toddlers wouldn't understand having their mouths washed out as a punishment, only as something very mean. So I doubt that would be effective at all.

I think the best way to handle it is first to find out where your child heard those words. Does he go to daycare? Is he around when you watch your shows on TV? Have you said them in anger (not judging, it happens.) while he was around? Friends, family...?

Ask him where exactly he heard those words and explain that words like that are rude and hurtful. Put him in timeout (make sure to explain to him why he's in timeout) and when he comes out remind him we don't say words like that. There is also spanking if it continues beyond that but I don't know how you feel or don't feel on it so I'll just say if you do spank don't do it out of anger.

If it continues be consistent with whatever you decide to do. He will eventually learn that he can't say those words.
    madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 10:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• He had to have heard those words from someone. It's not really fair to punish him for saying things he hears said around him. Maybe consider where he heard it from and see who else needs punishment!

Anonymous