using the CIO method?

my baby is 7 months old and i want him to learn to fall asleep on his own. a lot of people have told me to use the cio method. but my question is do i also let him cio when hes sleepy during the day so he doesn't get mixed signals? i want to do whats right and not confusing to him but allowing him to cry at night plus 2 or 3 times a day when he naps seems like a lot. what are some of ur suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:53 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you considered that he could learn to fall asleep on his own without crying?
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• My husband and I are totally for the CIO method. It has worked wonders. It is the hardest thing ever at first, but, once they learn to put themselves it's wonderful. To answer your question, yes, I would absolutely use the method throughout the day even during naps. If you constantly pick up when crying, or rock your baby to sleep, they will expect that even at night. So be consistent and whatever you do, don't give in. Again, it will be very hard those first few nights, but, once they get the hang of it, it will have all been worth it.
    joannakitler

Answer by joannakitler at 9:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Good question. I let my son CIO at night only. That was when I wanted him to learn not only to fall asleep on his own but to comfort himself back to sleep if he woke up. But he also was always a good napper and always fell asleep easy during the day so I never had to let him CIO in the datyime. So I take it your son doesn't fall asleep easy for naps either? If not, I would just keep trying to get him to sleep by doing whatever it is you normally do to get him to sleep and then at night do the CIO method. He'll catch on. Good luck.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 9:59 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Try this first: instead of feeding him right before he goes to sleep and trying to transfer him ever-so-carefully into bed, try bathing him, feeding him with the lights on, rousing him, reading a book or 2, then turning out the lights and singing a couple of songs, then putting him down awake but drowsy and calm. He may not cry at all. I'm not totally opposed to crying it out, but I was really impressed that my daughter did not need to do it when we switched from nursing to sleep to this change in schedule. She just talks herself to sleep, I guess because she knows that's what's coming. Routine is key. Every once in a blue moon it doesn't work so she cries for about 3-5 minutes, but that's it. And she often puts herself back to sleep with no intervention (and usually no all-out crying) in the night, too. So far this hasn't worked at naptime, though, so I still just nurse her to sleep.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:03 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I just started laying my son down during nap times and if he wiggled and fussed I would let him til he fell asleep. Then a couple nights later I let him try it in his crib. Every since he has done great putting himself to sleep. Of course I only put him down when he is drowsy but still partially awake. Sometimes it takes a lil longer for him to go to sleep but never more than 5 min. He is fixing to be 4 months. Hopefully it will continue :)

Your lil one will get the hang of it soon. Consistency is the key for sure!
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 10:09 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I prefer the Ferber method to this which instead of just letting your baby cry himself to sleep you leave the room an let him cry a few minutes, then go in and pat or soothe him without speaking or taking him out of bed and once he is calm leave the room again. With this method you teach baby that you are there and he is safe on his own. I did this with both of my kids, it does take a long time the first time but it gets shorter and shorter. It took my son 3 weeks before he was sleeping on his own and my daughter only one week, but she was older, i started at 6 months with my son and 9 month with my daughter.
    rissa_doll

Answer by rissa_doll at 10:10 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• trust your instinct. If it feels wrong or like its "too long" then it is. YOU know YOUR BABY. Have you tried laying down with your baby or sitting near their bed instead of letting the poor thing cry itself to sleep? I sure wouldn't want to cry myself to sleep. I'm sure your baby doesn't either :)
    Anonymous

• This question is getting so freakin old...and heartbreaking to hear how many poor babies are left to fend for themselves...I am trying desperately to figure out when having a baby became such an inconvenience....What the HELL is wrong with holding your little innocent baby that has only known mommys love since the day he was born?? Is it just too "inconvenient" for you?? THey don't learn to be stronger if you lay them there and let them scream their guts out.....I just don't get it.....

"You're not managing an inconvenience, you're raising and human being." <~~ One of my favorite quotes and it is very fitting in this situation...
    CIO is lazy and ABUSIVE parenting......PERIOD
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:06 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• He awakes in the mindless terror of the silence, the motionlessness. He screams. He is afire from head to foot with want, with desire, with intolerable impatience. He gasps for breath and screams until his head is filled and throbbing with the sound. He screams until his chest aches, until his throat is sore. He can bear the pain no more and his sobs weaken and subside. He listens. He opens and closes his fists. He rolls his head from side to side. Nothing helps. It is unbearable. He begins to cry again, but it is too much for his strained throat; he soon stops. he waves his hands and kicks his feet. He stops, able to suffer, unable to think, unable to hope. He listens. Then he falls asleep again......

-Jean Liedloff (The continuum Concept) The "NO-cry sleep solution".

calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:08 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Some babies cry so violently they vomit. Some parents find that the nighttime crying affects their baby's daytime personality-making him clingy and fussy. Many find that any setback (teething, missing a nap, vacation), sends them back to the previous night-waking problems, and they must let their child cry it out over and over again.

Is it really worth it to not cuddle and comfort your baby??
    calliesmommie