formula gift

i was given formula but its not the one that i use is it ok to give it to my baby

poncetwins88

Asked by poncetwins88 at 9:54 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Why not just find out where the person bought it and exchange it?
    Anonymous

• depends on how old your baby is. if baby is close to a year than it shouldn't affect her (i'm just saying her if its him sorry) too much. if shes younger than i wouldn't. if you don't feel comfy using it, ask where they got it from, explain you appreciate it but you are going to have to exchange it for what your child normally gets b/c it will upset her stomach. if the store won't give you a credit and let you exchange, than i would just ask around and see if someone you know uses it. or you could take it to a food shelter that way it doesn't go to waste. (if the person has the receipt and doesn't mind you should be able to return it, unopened and get the credit towards the kind you use)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:57 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• it depends on which formulas they are.... some formulas are close enough to each other that you can do that. Others are completely different. I think the worst thing that could happen is your baby will get gassy and fussy for a while if he/she can't handle it.

Anonymous

• depends. If its smilac vs enfamil, its fine, but if its a special kind like nutramagen I wouldn't. Use it as a back. You can try to exchange it to. But some stores have policies on formula. I would call the store first
    daisy6878

Answer by daisy6878 at 10:00 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• its a good start formula
    poncetwins88

Answer by poncetwins88 at 10:01 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Every baby is different, some can switch brands with no problems and others have a very hard time. I wouldn't do it, bu if you do want to use it the best way is to mix it with her normal brand first so it is not so harsh on her stomach...or his. God luck whatever you decide
    rissa_doll

Answer by rissa_doll at 10:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• If you have a walmart nearby you could exchange it there. They take bake nearly everything- even if it wasn't bought at a Walmart-just as long as the carry the product which I believe they carry Good Start formula.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 10:26 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Depends on your baby. When I put my baby on formula I ran out one day and remembered I still had a can of sample similac (I used enfamil gentlease) I wasn't able to get to the store or have anybody bring me anymore so I made a bottle with the similac and she was fine.

If you want to try it, mix a small bottle (2 or 4 ounces) and see how it reacts with your baby. If it isn't well, see if you can return the unopened cans. If you can't return them try passing them along to another mother who could use them.
    madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 10:41 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• my pediatrician told me as long as they are both milk based its fine its all basicall the same. i use similac and i was given enfamily and he said it was fine to use both
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 11:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2009