calling me by my first name? anyone else's kids do that? lol

My 22 month old is a riot. My husband and I don't like referring to one another as "mom" and "dad" ... sorry, we love those roles, but we don't want to lose ourselves in them completely... We'll say, "can you give this to YOUR mom" but sometimes my husband will also say, "Give this to Emily".. well, around 18 months my daughter thought she'd start using our first names... especially as a last resort. Like if she had been up for awhile in her crib, calling out, Mommy, MomEEE, Mama, Mom,.... EMILY!!!!" It was funny, but I didn't want her to call me that. So I got her to stop, but now she says it every now and then with the biggest smile on her face. Like she knows how damn cute it is, and I just can't bring myself to stop her. Even funnier, my she uses my husband's name only when we're hugging or kissing, which she hates... if he pecks me goodbye, she yells out, "No kissing Mommy and Devin!" Anyone else?

EmilySusan

Asked by EmilySusan at 9:55 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's normal, because she hears you referred to as Emily by everyone else! My daughter was calling me my first name for a while, just to see if I responded. It's neat to a kid that mom has another name. But, she stopped after the novelty wore off.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 9:57 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I just posted this and did NOT know the question right before me was about calling Mom bad words. I'm SO SORRY hope I didn't offend. I just checked the questions!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Mine don't (yet) but my brother's 5 all went through that phase.
    Mangy_Momma

Answer by Mangy_Momma at 10:06 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• My lil girl calls me Stephanie. lol.... Yet its not funny to me now. I figure since everyone calls me by my first name she pick it up from that. She is two, going to be 3. She knows I am mommy, and still calls me by my first name most of the time. Wanna hear the worst is that she calls grandma's mom.
    cubana1

Answer by cubana1 at 10:15 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• The other day I was yelling from the shower for hubby to come get our 2 year old out and she started yelling for Tim also. It kinda hurt his feelings so I call for Daddy now, lol. I do hear it happens alot though, I wouldn't be too worried.
    slhash

Answer by slhash at 10:27 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Well, we call each other "Mommy" or "Daddy", mostly to avoid this situation (my daughter would pick up on it in a heartbeat!) but occasionally I'll yell for my husband and then we hear our oldest daughter's little voice yelling out "Will!" (but it sounds more like "wheel", LOL)
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 10:38 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Well I'm still mommy but DH has been Bobby for a few months now. He thinks it's a fun game. we say Daddy? He smiles and says "Bobby" like he's correcting us for correcting him lol. Just this past week he's been calling him "Dabby" which I think is hilarious but DH says "Be careful what you wish for" LOL bc he had said "I wish he'd call me anything but Bobby" So I think he's slowly transistioning himself to go back to daddy... I hope
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 10:44 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• My dd slips and calls me aunt Tiffany but corrects herself but I also taught her my full name, her daddys full name, her Nee Nee's full name and her Papel Apple's full name and some other relatives first and last names that way if something happens and she wonders off she knows who her family is she can also tell you her full name.
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 11:04 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• oh yes, it is just a phase. it slowly goes away. but it is good that they know what your name is so if they get lost or something if asked what is your parents name they dont say mommy and daddy
    BUBKAYDAV

Answer by BUBKAYDAV at 12:12 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• my 15 month old calls my husband (his father) Michael all the time. But its more like Makal. I'm constantly telling him "No, thats Daddy." He just smiles and looks at his dad and says it again. I think its just them asserting their independence.
    emmaleejean

Answer by emmaleejean at 1:28 AM on Apr. 21, 2009