Why won't he sit in his high chair?

My almost 2yo cries when we have dinner. He refuses to sit in his chair. He cries to be picked up. Any suggestions for showing him how to stay put?

afdavis27

Asked by afdavis27 at 10:27 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe he wants to be a big boy and sit in a booster seat or thinks he is big enough for the adult table? I know mine can throw a huge fit over her seating.
    slhash

Answer by slhash at 10:37 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Try putting him in a booster seat...he might being feeling "left out" since you get to sit in a chair and he's stuck in a high chair. I switched my 2 year old to a booster and she loves it!
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 10:44 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• They even make boosters that have buckles on them, so he cannot get up until you are ready....LoL!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 11:26 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Try getting him his own table and chairs you can get them at wal-mart http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10737510
    My parents got my dd hers at 1 and she loves it
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 12:04 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• try just taking the top off and sliding the chair right up to the table if it will fit. thats what i did and my kids loved it
    BUBKAYDAV

Answer by BUBKAYDAV at 12:14 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• My 2 yr old is refusing to sit in his booster chairs at home and the grandparents house now, my solution was at home he sits at his little table cause he thinks he's a big kid, and at my parents house he sits at the table on a normal chair like everyone else. Apparently it's the "needing to big" syndrom kicking in. He's always thought he's bigger than he is, it's just worse now that he's 2. lol.
    britngavin

Answer by britngavin at 4:49 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Booster seat at the table and if he doesn't stay put then tell him he has to sit in the high chair. Two is kind of big for a high chair.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:02 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I agree booster... I couldn't imagine my daughter still being in a high chair at 2...

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 10:36 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Like everyone else said I would def. try a booster seat...he seems ready. My dd is 21 months and still loves her high chair but my neice who is 18 months is already in a booster, she refuses to sit in a high chair.
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 3:53 PM on Apr. 21, 2009