Potty training a boy

I have a 2 yr old and Ive been trying to work on potty training. When I take him to the bathroon he always goes but he will not poop in the toilet he will wait til after i get his pull up on. Has anyone else had this problem? How did you break the habit?

AdysMama09

Asked by AdysMama09 at 10:30 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am currently having this exact same problem!!! Frustrating isn't it :-) So anyways I got some Great advice... I'm going to create a chart, everytime he goes to the bathroom he gets to put a sticker on the chart (you could make pooping worth more stickers?) When he has filled up all the spots on the chart you can take a special "potty trip" like to the park or zoo or ice-cream. Just an idea someone threw out there but I think it's great! Oh, and if I were you I would try the real underwear as much as possible, daycare wont allow you to do the with them since it's not sanitary but you can do it at night before bed and on the weekends :-) Good Luck!
    LilBangersMom

Answer by LilBangersMom at 9:39 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Don't put him in a pull up, go straight to regular underwear......Yes, you will throw away a few of the "nasty" ones, but you are throwing away pull ups anyway. He will NOT like the sticky, nasty poops in the undies...LOL!
    BUT, he is still 2 years old, so try not to set too high of expectations on him. If you catch him trying to hide behind the furniture, or squatting in the corner, take him straight to the toilet and make him wait it out...make up an excuse to get him to sit there longer if yoiu have to....but he will learn soon enough.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 11:23 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• i asked the same question not too long ago and today i finally bought him some regular underwear. im gonna try it out tomorrow and see how it works! cuz if you think about it, pull ups are way overpriced and you might as well stick to the regular diaper cuz thats what a pullup feels like.
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 1:41 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• get him some underware. thats what i did with my son, yes he had some accidents but learned very quickly to go potty. it only took two days. when you get them underware they dont like the feeling and so they know its better to go on the toilet. on the plus you save alot of money.
    monica_sky1225

Answer by monica_sky1225 at 3:19 AM on Apr. 21, 2009