Three week old...

Did you wake your three week old up for feedings at night?.... is there a limit to where i should let her go?....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• never wake a sleeping baby. you will regret it. during the day put her on a feeding schedule of every 4 hours or so and stick to it. she won't go hungry that way she will set into a night time schedule on her own. my daughter was sleeping through the night at 3 weeks on the nose. there is no set limit on how much sleep a baby should or shouldnt get. if she is sleeping she needs the sleep.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:39 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I agree...NEVER WAKE A SLEEPING BABY. Babies naturally put themselves on a schedule. They will let you know when they are hungry. I at first thought in order to get them on a schedule that you should wake them every few hours to feed them. Then I thought, "Would I want to be woken up out of a very comfortable sleep and be forced to eat?" Heck No! Just feed the baby on demand.
    joannakitler

Answer by joannakitler at 10:46 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I used to hate the idea of putting children on schedules. I only set my newborn daughter on a schedule because I didn't with my son. I was letting him tell me when he was hungry and tired etc. well i found it much easier and healthier for my daughter to do it myself. I knew when she had to eat and how much. She always woke up at 8 and ate, then she ate at 12 and took a nap, then again she ate at 4and took a nap, then she ate again at 8 and went to bed. it made my life a lot easier especially since i had another child under 2 to take care of. so i am all for putting your children on schedules. She puts herself to sleep at every nap and bed time. and she is now 17 months old and still sleeping through the night.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:57 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I did at first but then realized he didnt eat as well as when he woke up and cried to be fed. If your baby isn't waking up, I wouldn't wake him/her. They will definitely let ya know when they are hungry, no worries! :)
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 10:58 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I think I heard somewhere that when a baby sleeps, that is when they process everything that they saw, smelt, heard, felt. So is she is sleeping, let her sleep.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:03 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Babies are not like adults...they do not see food and think they need to eat it. They are much more in tune with their bodies than we are, so if baby is sleeping, they need to be sleeping! If they're eating, they will stop when they're done, etc. I never woke my kids up and I don't regret it!
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 11:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• i wouldnt wake them up thats ur time as long as they are ok while they are sleeping u dont need to wake them up trust me its been 2mo and i just like to get some time just for me so im not so stuck on just him love him but i need my time to
    rero0701

Answer by rero0701 at 11:34 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• just feed her every 3 hrs during the day, give her a good warm bottle before bed, and let her sleep as long as she wants to. u can check on her if u want to, and i would wake her up by the time you're waking up in the morning if she's still sleeping, but i doubt a newborn would really sleep that long
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 11:54 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• If my son would have slept longer than 5 hours I would have woken him up... but he never did. By the time he was 6 weeks I let him sleep as long as he wanted. When they are less than a month they really need to eat more often and some babies don't wake even when they should. My friends baby would sleep 12 hours early on and was having major weight gain issues because she wasn't taking in enough calories in the day... they ended up doing what is called Dream feeding once at night... the baby stayed asleep but would breastfeed.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:16 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Never wake a sleeping baby, he or she will wake up when they are hungry.. my son at only a week old slept 6 hours straight before waking up to eat.. I had called the doctor and they said it was fine
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 2:14 AM on Apr. 21, 2009