randomly sucking fingers?

My son has never sucked his thumb or fingers. He has a stuffed tigger that was given to him at a young age and has not left his side since, except to go in the washing machine. About a month after his 3rd birthday he started sucking all 4 fingers on his left hand, mostly when he's tired or worried about something. I've always heard that is bad for their teeth, but he has all his teeth already, so is it something i need to be concerned about? Did any of your kids start sucking fingers at an older age?

ba13ygrl1987

Asked by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:39 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my son is three years old and he just started that too. how weird. i notice he does it when he is interested in something, in a daze, or tired. but i just tell him to take his hands out of his mouth and he usually does. i don't know what triggered that.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:41 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• it is still bad for their teeth. it pushes the mouth out and causes the teeth to not align correctly. both my sisters sucked their thumbs for along time and had to have braces b/c of how badly they aligned. i would just try to distract him with something else. if it becomes a regular habit, the drugstores sell something you can put on their fingers to make them bitter tasting so they won't do it.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:01 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• i dont believe that sucking thier fingers is bad for their teeth, i have a cousin that sucked his thumb up until he was 13 and he has good teeth, me on the other hand did not and my teeth need fixing. the only thing i think that you need to be concerned about is him getting bad germs in his mouth that causes him to get sick if he touches something unsanitary and then sucks his fingers. also i agree you should get him to try not to do it so much just so it wont become a long hard bad habit.
    monica_sky1225

Answer by monica_sky1225 at 2:32 AM on Apr. 21, 2009