• In the Spotlight:

Is it too soon? How can I make it stop?

Since my son was little I have taught him to chew with his mouth closed. He has done a good job with that and has it mastered. NOW he moves his tongue around inside his mouth when he's chewing. Do you know what sound I am talking about? I have this HUGE pet peeve about table manners and noisy chewers. How do I explain to him not to move his tongue around? I know it's a hard thing to teach them.

a_and_j_momma

Asked by a_and_j_momma at 10:41 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Ever since learning to chew with his mouth closed has he moved his tongue around? or did this noisy chewing just start? I commend you on teaching your son to chew with his mouth closed I too have a major pet peeve with kids who chew like cows I wish all parents taught manners.

If this noisy chewing has always gone on than I would just let it rest, I mean like anon 11:32 said its all about the mechanics
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 1:08 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• The only thing that comes to mind is to learn to live with it. Tongue moving is necessary for keeping your food where it should be to chew it up and some people just eat louder than others. It's not a matter of table manners so much as it is mechanics. Maybe his mouth is just made in a such a way that he sounds like that. Either way, you may just be out of luck. Be glad that he chews with his mouth shut, especially if he's already started Kindergarten.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Politely excuse him from the table until he is able to sit and eat properly. Stay calm and neutral

Answer by rkoloms at 3:39 PM on Apr. 21, 2009