For those who have had multiple c-sections

I had talked with my doctor about having another c-section. This will be my second. He says there isn't any more risk than before, and that it heals faster since he is cutting an old scar. Is this true? Can you give me any insight to the situation? Thank you. God bless.

mo2a27

Asked by mo2a27 at 10:44 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

Level 1 (-6 Credits)
  • My mom had 6 c-sections. I was her 6th. After me they just taped her up and she healed way fast since her body was so used to it. She said each one (c-section) was easier on her, and they were able to remove a lot of the scar tissue after each one as well.

I don't have any personal experience- but I guess everyone's body is different and some may take longer to heal than others.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 11:38 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Uhhh... no, that's not true. You will have a harder recovery if anything. There is less risk to having a VBAC than in having a repeat c-section. You will lose more blood this time than last time, you will further damage your uterus and increase the risks to future pregnancies.

Read "Birth After Cesarean: The Medical Facts" by Dr. Bruce Flamm, and educate yourself. Doctors say that stuff because they don't want to do VBACs for legal and monetary reasons, not because repeat surguries are better for moms and babies.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:48 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I've only had one c-section, and would never have another one. If I feel my baby is in trouble, I would have one, that would be the only circumstance. You should try for a VBAC.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 11:05 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I have had 2 c sections and yes i agree with your doctor i healed alot better with my second then my first... I am going to have one more girl and that will make 3 c sections for me and thats all im having

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 11:17 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I had 2 c-sections, and my doc told me that with each c-section it gets more dangerous because you have more scar tissue and it's harder to heal with more scar tissue. Good luck, and don't let any of our answers scare you, because there isn't anything you can do differently, so don't waste your time worrying, just let it be, you'll be fine. If you want to talk just message me, I had many fears with my second for many other reasons.
    Hartbrayka

Answer by Hartbrayka at 11:33 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• The more c-sections you have, the more risks you get. The 2nd c-section will be more dangerous than the 1st one. And the 3rd, much more dangerous than the 2nd.

If you have a normal healthy pregnancy with no issues (such as placenta previa) then I suggest trying for a VBAC. I just had my VBAC almost 6 months ago and it was great. The recovery was much better than from my c-section.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I have had two going on my third in June. My second was much easier than my first, but mostly b/c I was more prepared for things, and I didn't labor. My doc actually cut out the old scar when he did it. It's tough to go through the old scar, that tissue is tough. I can say that my recovery for my second was much better than my first. Much less pain, I was up and about much more quickly doing things, not as zonked doing little things right away. All in all my experience was good the second time around. I am hoping, since this one is actually scheduled (my first and second was both "emergency" c's) that it will be even easier b/c I am ultimately prepared for it. Good luck!
    bhwrn1

Answer by bhwrn1 at 7:04 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I have had 3 and will have my 4th Bez"H next month. Each one was different. The last one I had was the hardest. I honestly believe just like each pregnancy is different, the same holds here. As you can see from the answers, each person says something different. Don't worry about it. If I'm recovered from my c-section, I hope to come visit you in th hospital and if things get rough, i'll hold your hand and we can moan and groan together ;)

Dvora

Answer by Dvora at 8:39 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• thank you ladies for the info.
    That is really sweet Dvora- I will pray for you and your family.
    God bless you all!
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 10:17 PM on Apr. 22, 2009