My kid hangs out with the "rich" kids....

We live in a townhouse that looks like hell and I feel like his friends mothers judge me for it. Their kids are great and very respectful and we love having them over, but I think the moms are always concerned when they leave their children here. Does anybody else feel this way? Or are you the "rich" mom? If your the rich mom what do you honestly think when you drop your children off at someones house who is less fortunate than you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Yep that's probably it, we make good money, live very comfortable but our house is small and it's nothing fancy.... As long as they are good people and the kids are respectful then I don't see that it should matter if you don't live in the biggest house on the block!! Our house looked like it was gonna blow over when we moved into it,lol We had renters that all but destroyed the poor thing... We have since remodeled and didn't go overboard and it's good enough for us, I could care less what anyone else thinks!! Don't worry about it, if their that shallow then you probably don't need your kids hanging around with them anyway....
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 11:38 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I grew up the poor kid with rich friends. Now I'm in different shoes and I'm the rich mom. i understand that not everyone in the world has money. As long as my son's friend's parents are decent people, I don't care how much money they make...as long as they don't live on Mars.
    Anonymous

• im not rich i live with my parents but when i was on my own my apt. wasnt the best in the world but i never like to take my kids over to people houses that are worse then mine, more like a total dump i dont care if u have less im not going to juge u for that but i wouldnt want to take my son to some ones house whos smell and dont pick up after them selfs u should be fine as long as u pick up after ur self that shows people that u dont like the place u live but its a place and u can afford it and ur trying and ur making it ur home im looking at a place right now that its not what i would like but i want it cuz it fits my needs and its cheep
    rero0701

Answer by rero0701 at 11:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Who cares? I assume you feed him and clothe him and he's a nice respectable boy? Obviously your doing good. I'm sure they have enough on their plates not to judge you. I bet they just want to make sure their kids are around responsible adults and as long as you care for their kids like you would your own, then I don't see a prob. I promised myself a long time ago (since I came from a poor family) to never judge anyone without knowin the facts.

Poor people can be great, Dirty ppl are different. A not so great house, that is clean is better than a mansion thats dirty.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 11:07 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• OP here: I am a very clean person, probably too clean. My kid is always dressed nice and he's a good little boy. My husband makes a little over 100K a year, we've just made some financial mistakes in the past and we're trying to clean up debt. We don't live in the ghetto or anything, there really isn't a ghetto area where we live I just feel so bad when they come to our place. I feel like I'm less than them. Maybe it's more of an issue to me than it is to them?
    Anonymous

• Most likely. Just be glad your raising your kid right and keep reminding yourself that your a good person in a not so good situation that is gonna get better.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 11:36 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• My daughter's best friend is less "rich" than us. (Oh, I hate to use that word!) I also consider the mother a close friend of mine. I value their friendship, not their net worth in dollars. Thankfully, my DD is not at the age to notice the money differences yet, but I plan to teach her to look at inside of the person, not outside when ready. The most important thing about having kids over is that they have fun. The size of the house does not guarantee the fun. But easier to be said than done. I understand how you feel when richer moms come over. How about if you start focusing on the quality of fun time when children are over? I don't know how old your kids and friends are, but I'm sure you can come up with blasting fun activities without spending too much money. Soon, other moms will start asking you if their kids can come over again and again, and you know that they see what's inside of your heart, not the wallet.
    Anonymous

• Omg, 100k a year, that's far from being poor. How much do the other mom's husbands make? Look I think that's decent money your hubby brings in and I also think it is in your own mind. Sometimes when you want a certain life style you tend to try to keep up or be better than the Jones's if you know what I mean.
    Anonymous

• 100k a year? and you think your poor??? try living on less than 20k a year...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• I am far from rich.Never have been probably never will be. I have come to the conclusion in life that if we worry too much about what others think we will worry our life away. No one is perfect and you can't please everyone.
    LND

Answer by LND at 9:09 AM on Apr. 21, 2009