question about uti/antibiotics

So I posted earlier saying that I thought I had a UTI and was in a lot of pain and I took everyone's advice and went to the ER.

Anyways so after 4 1/2 hours they gave me an antibiotic for the UTI, something like Macrobid I believe. I was happy cuz I've been in a lot of pain and needed something....

Well now my mom is freaking out. She says you aren't supposed to have antibiotics FOR ANY REASON while pregnant.

Anyone else have antibiotics while pregnant for UTI treatment? It's okay right, I wouldn't think the hospital would do anything wrong. They KNEW I was pregnant.

I'm almost 17 weeks.

Thanks guys (:

javila

Asked by javila at 11:09 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• u should be fine they wont give u anything u cant have and if they do they would let u know the risks
    rero0701

Answer by rero0701 at 11:11 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• this comes from the drugs.com website. you should be just fine. you and baby both. and you can be on antibiotics during pregnancy. you just have to make sure with doc. it poses no risk for the baby. good luck
    FDA pregnancy category B. Macrobid is not expected to be harmful to an unborn baby, unless it is used during the last 2 to 4 weeks of pregnancy. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant during treatment. This medication passes into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby. Do not take Macrobid without telling your doctor if you are breast feeding a baby. Do not give Macrobid to a child younger than 12 years old.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:12 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• ahhhh thank you so much! (: I thought so but she was weirding me out saying i was gonna kill the baby and stuff, she worries WAY TOO MUCH!
    javila

Answer by javila at 11:16 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• tell your mom to chill out a lot has changed since she has been pregnant. that is what i told my mom numerous times. well i guess you should not be worrying. shes doing enough for the both of you.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:19 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• lol i did tell her to chill and she's reading this and now she's calming down. and i looked it all up and stuff for her to see. (: Thanks again girls!
    javila

Answer by javila at 11:20 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I went to the ER the other day for the same thing and they said if you are pregnant they have meds safe for mommy and baby. They know that you are prego so there are no worries they wouldnt give you anything to harm your little angel. Im on NITROFUR MONOHY CP. (thanks for reminding me to take it by the way lol)
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 11:21 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• when i was around 12-15 wks pregnant, i found out i had mono. they had to give me steroids in the IV. i think you'll be fine :)
    hotaru

Answer by hotaru at 11:43 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I don't want to worry you. I don't know about what antibiotics are safe or anything. But i will say this. Do not believe everything a hospital tells you. Just because they knew you were pregnant don't mean ne thing. I am sorry if I sound harsh but after my sons death I have no faith in doctors, nurses, or hospitals. You can sit there and tell them your concerns until you're blue in the face and they still won't do ne thing. Just be careful and always get second opinions when it comes to your child's health.
    hostlerak

Answer by hostlerak at 12:59 PM on Apr. 21, 2009

• There are meds for just about everything now a days that are safe to take while pregnant. Don't worry, and tell your mom its 2012! Its not like it was when they were pregnant where you couldn't take anything. Just be sure to tell your OBGYN that you went to the ER and what they gave, she may request a copy of those records from the hospital to keep in your file at her office. don't worry, your fine. The hospital won't do anything to hurt you.
    tyree08

Answer by tyree08 at 10:37 PM on Nov. 7, 2012