Another cheap food question.

Ok so it turns out we are BROKE ;( What are some cheap meal ideas for a very picky eater who does NOT like veggies? My husband is a big meat man and only really like potatoes,meat,rice! Anything cheap out there and I like to have leftovers so he can take his lunch. If it gets too bad like before I will usually just eat very little at dinner so he will have enought o take for lunch.Uhhh the economy sucks! Where is our help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Shepherds Pie? We do ours with corn and meat and gravy with mashed potatoes and biscuits on top.
    Tamale pie, Chili Mac, Chicken soup. Potatoe soup (add steak and it is killer!!)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:14 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• me and my hubby tryed hamberger fry it up like u would when making tacos add the taco stuff in it us less u dont want too much to make it really strong then use veleeta make that and mix the two together its good
    rero0701

Answer by rero0701 at 11:14 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Wow wish I could help! But i understand right now we don't have much in the freezer but my family really helps out. Ground turkey is pretty cheap substitute that in a chili or meatloaf
    Anonymous

• I usually just buy whole chickens which are like $3.00. you can make your own stuffing. take out about six pieces of bread and let them stale. cut it up in cubes and put them in a bowl, add 1 tsp of rosemary, pinch of basil, oregano, garlic, chopped onion, salt and pepper and add a little bit of chicken stock so it becomes nice and thick. stuff into the chicken and tie the legs closed. it makes it taste great. and for sides you can make mashed potatoes and rolls. i am sorry you are going though some hard times. trust me i know how you feel.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:17 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• food shelf to i had to go a few times to help out it helps alot
    rero0701

Answer by rero0701 at 11:17 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• How about mac and cheese. Use a casarole dish ... pre cook the noodles of course... then put layers of american sliced cheese and pour a butter mixture over top ... let it cook and mix... makes for a few nights of food
    Anonymous

• Ground turkey is cheaper than ground beef, so use turkey for tacos, chili etc.

Hobo dinners

A turkey pattys, cut potatoes and carrots(this could be optional since DH doesn't like them) Seasoning(whatever you like) Wrap in aluminum foil and bake on 350 fro an hour and a half. Super cheap meal.

Anonymous

• We usually take ramen and do a stir fry and put it over ramen. Or rice. Do you ever make beans?
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:20 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Make homemade hamburger helper, One box of mac n cheese(prepare as you would normally), 1lb of hamburger browned and drained, one jar of ragu, 1-2 cups shredded chedder cheese, mix together and eat.. It goes a long way!
    Or you can make porcupines, mix 2 lbs ground beef, 1 cup rice, 1TBSP parsley, 1tsp salt/pepper, 1 egg, 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, 2 TBSP minced onions, make into meat balls, simmer in 2 cans Campbells tomato soup until fully cooked, about 10-15 minutes on low/med heat... Make them with mashed potatoes and it's a filling supper!! Message me for more recipes if you want! I was poor, I have all kinds of tips to help you out!
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 11:22 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• If You Get Some Scallop potatoes and mix that in a casserole dish..cut hotdogs up into little pieces and mix that in with the potatoes and cook it as the box says.. its really good and cost like 6 dollars maybe less....you should deff try that.

thats what we do
    Cyarasmom

Answer by Cyarasmom at 12:03 AM on Apr. 21, 2009