does anyone elses DH/SO work 3rd shift?

my bf works a swing shift and this week is 3rd shift i hate it!! wondering how other people feel about it.

jac1908

Asked by jac1908 at 11:31 PM on Apr. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My husband has worked it for years. We actually are used to it now. He wears earplugs and a black mask to sleep in and we homeschool so are on a late waking schedule. Works for us. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:32 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• My husband works 6pm-6am... I hate it but Id rather him work 3rd if he cant work 1st. And he gets 6 days straight off every month with 2 and 1 day off in between so that makes it nice. Right now he's lucky to have a job so we dont complain lol. It does get lonely though.
    sailfishmommy

Answer by sailfishmommy at 11:34 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• I've been with dh going on 4 years and he's only worked 2nd or 3rd he's working 3rd now and I hate it I'm alone with dd and I get scared being alone
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 11:34 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• ya its tough for him to sleep during the day and when he only does it for a week then next week he will be on 2nd and then 1st so its just annoying cause we just cant get used to it and he is soo tired on the weeks he does 3rd but its a good job.
    jac1908

Answer by jac1908 at 11:40 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• My Hubby is gone 4 weeks at a time, and believe me it gets very lonely.... I wish he was home, anytime during the day... We're leaving the first week of June until the first week in July with no kiddies, I can't wait!!
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 11:42 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• When I had one, he worked third shift for years. I'm a natural night owl, so I LOVED it. Loved everything about it. It almost killed me when he went to first shift.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 11:43 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• my SO works second, but he doesnt come home till after two AM sometimes. i HATE going to bed alone. =[
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 11:49 PM on Apr. 20, 2009

• Just be happy he is working in this economy... my hubby worked many years at night and just the last few days... 6 weeks ago he lost his job and hasnt heard one thing about coming back. Things are so screwed here in Michigan and i am afraid of losing everything we have worked our entire 20 yrs of marriage to keep. Small house and three kids, 18, 13 and 4 yr olds... one in full time college is our big bill and not sure if we can continue to carry her tuition... I know him working a shift you may not like is not fun and may be lonely at times. We had no choice but to work opposites because of child care costs. Look at the bright side and try to hold on.. he may move to a better shift soon enough and then when you have been with him for over 27 yrs like my hubby and me, you will beg for him to be gone for a lil while so he will give you some personal time....LOL take care and hold on tight....
    denise0711

Answer by denise0711 at 12:26 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Hubby worked 3rd shift for years, when I went back to work (youngest in 1st grade) I was lucky to work day shift first 5 yrs.
    aqsgwama

Answer by aqsgwama at 12:56 AM on Apr. 21, 2009

• Dh works third shift, 11PM to 7AM - he's been 3rd for about 8 years now so we're pretty used to it. Before we got married he had a 9 to 5 Mon-Fri office job, and he was miserable - he hated it. It's so much better having him in a job that suits him, and we've just all adjusted over the years to his 3rd shift schedule. Our schedule is a bit different than other people's but it works for us. In fact he's had a couple opportunities to pursue a first or second shift position in the past couple years, and he's decided against it - with my full support.

I guess if he switched every week or so, it would be a lot harder to find the rhythm, but I'm sure you get used to it with time.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 1:01 AM on Apr. 21, 2009